+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help with establishing a gradiant

IMG_20170219_123828532.jpg
    I ran mine at 1 1/2" yesterday and with a little bit of coaxing ended up with this when I ran out of sap. I drew off what I could to finish under a controlled heat.

Latitude:N 44° 50' 25.0463"
    Longitude:W 85° 38' 57.8906"

New for 2022 (My 10th year) a 9" CDL Vacuum Filter Press
    2016/2017 12' X 16' Sugar Shack 6/12 pitch roof W/ 3' X 4' Cupola.
    John Deere HPX 4X4 Gator (Pop's left it to me when he died)
    New for 2020 HB10 RO In A Bucket, a game changer.
    2015 Purchased 50 used Bag holders.
    2016 Purchased a home made evaporator and "everything" that went with it.
    20 acre Sugar Bush

Quote Originally Posted by mspina14 View Post
    Thanks for everyone's suggestion.

We're out of sap now and waiting to collect more.

I shut down the evaporator last night with a full flue and syrup pan. Sap in the syrup pan is at about 58% sugar.

We're having a few days of unseasonably warm weather. Temp's near 60 degrees.

I hope the sap in the pans does not spoil.

Also, I hope the warm weather doesn't kill the sap run.

I'll restart when I get about 100 gallons or so of sap. This time, I'll try to run the pan at 1 1/2 -2 inches and see how it goes.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Mark
    Mark...be careful with that "sweet" in the pan. When I first started I did something very similar with my Mason and by the time I got around to boiling again when I fired up the evaporator I got a funky smell. It did not take long. I lost the initial boil of 100 gallons of sap. The temps. look mild all week...spooky mild Thursday through Sunday. I would either 1) boil down what you have carefully to an inch or so and then finish on a turkey fryer or 2) fire your evaporator each day just at a boil to keep the sweet from spoiling.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

I'm also boiling on a real evaporator for the first time and seem to be boiling away a lot of sap and not getting anything close to syrup. So from what I gather from the posts is that the pan needs to sort of break in before the sap begins to flow properly? Also I have a steam hood that's raised above the pan about 30" so I can watch what's going on in the pan. Of coarse some of the steam escapes around the hood. I'm wondering if I put an inline fan in the steam stack if it would draw more of the steam up the stack instead of the steam going out and around the hood?

Consistency is key if you keep messing with the float you are going to be mixing sap. Go down to an inch of sap. Just be watchful. Make sure you are ready cause your first draw is going to be a big one. Make sure sap is still going into your pans
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    Mark...be careful with that "sweet" in the pan. When I first started I did something very similar with my Mason and by the time I got around to boiling again when I fired up the evaporator I got a funky smell. It did not take long. I lost the initial boil of 100 gallons of sap. The temps. look mild all week...spooky mild Thursday through Sunday. I would either 1) boil down what you have carefully to an inch or so and then finish on a turkey fryer or 2) fire your evaporator each day just at a boil to keep the sweet from spoiling.
    Yeah, I agree. The sweet is not going to last with this warm weather.

I'll drain it and finish it in my turkey fryer. Hate to loose a couple gallons of syrup.

thanks.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Buckfever View Post
    from what I gather from the posts is that the pan needs to sort of break in before the sap begins to flow properly?
    Not so much a break in....it's called "sweetening the pan." You just have to boil a lot more sap than you'd think to even begin to think about drawing off. Still, in a 2x4 hobby evaporator you should begin to see a hint of a gradient after the first 50 gallons of sap boiled. By 100 gallons I always have a clear and well defined gradient. At 150 gallons of boiled sap can draw off for the first time.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

This was my gradient after about an hour and a half of boiling on Sunday....my 1st time using my new 2x6 evaporator. By the end of the day all 3 channels were dark, but I was still drawing off from my left channel, drew off about 2.5 gallons from my 125 gallons of 4.5% (after running through the RO) What caused my gradient to disappear? will I ever get it back? Is it because of the float box is feeding too slow? too fast? I kept my depth at about 1.5", my firing may have been too inconsistent, I was trying to put wood every 9 minutes or so, but when I open the door the boil does stop.

thanks everyone!

IMG_4082.jpg
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLikeSyrupNH View Post
    This was my gradient after about an hour and a half of boiling on Sunday....my 1st time using my new 2x6 evaporator. By the end of the day all 3 channels were dark, but I was still drawing off from my left channel, drew off about 2.5 gallons from my 125 gallons of 4.5% (after running through the RO) What caused my gradient to disappear? will I ever get it back? Is it because of the float box is feeding too slow? too fast? I kept my depth at about 1.5", my firing may have been too inconsistent, I was trying to put wood every 9 minutes or so, but when I open the door the boil does stop.

thanks everyone!

Attachment 15568
    Gradient may have changed when you got into new sap. it will res establish as you boil more.
    your doing good!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLikeSyrupNH View Post

thanks everyone!

Attachment 15568
    Your gradient is still there. It may not be visible, but if you were to test it, there will be a definite difference in concentration from the inlet (raw sap) to the outlet. Keep feeding sap in, letting steam off, and the syrup will come out.

Instead of worrying about "maintaining" the gradient, focus on trying to keep your evaporation rate as high and as consistent as possible, and you'll get the best performance possible out of your evaporator.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

You will lose the boil when you fire. Try opening 1 door and throwing a few sticks in then do the same on the other side to help minimize that. Nine minutes is a long time,try adding wood every 5 minutes or so.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast