+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Willowcreek Sugarhouse 2018

Hybrid View

Default Willowcreek Sugarhouse 2018

Well its getting close I think. So many different forecasts out there. Every app., news station, and website has something different and they change hourly. welcome to New England right? but at least a little consistency would be helpful.

Had quite a bit of damage in the woods from storms this fall. all of that is cleaned up and trees and branches off the lines, had a few snap as well but all fixed.

No school today, snow day, so heading out to finishing changing out some old drops, about 50 to 60 to go. then hopefully start tapping maybe get done this weekend so I can get some sap flowing and start chasing leaks and get things tightened up.

Pretty cold winter so far hopefully we can get some good sugar content to the sap this year but we will see what temps we'll get.

Good luck everybody and have a great season!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I was hoping to hold off until February before I drill any holes but comments like this are making ma want to go out and start this weekend. Planning to keep an eye on it and see how the extended outlook is on Sat. AM.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

It's nice to see you back Brad. I still have too much to do before I can tap. I wish I had gotten my new arch a couple of months sooner than I did. I do have it all bricked and the pans are on it so I am close to finished with that project. I have some repairs to do to my releaser which won't take to long and I've got to fix my RO from when it froze up on me. I hope it only needs the prefilter housing and not any of the pumps.

Good luck with the new season.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Well it depends on what you have for taps. I never tap my buckets this early. but since the majority of my taps are vacuum its a closed system and they will run even after the season is over.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

its been getting better by the hour. its coming in pretty good FINALLY!!! actually managed over 100 gallons today!!! vac back to 26" and holding steady. 8:30 pm and its coming in stronger than it was at 3:30. it took along time to get going today since it was cloudy.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Brad, did that earthquake shake the sap loose for you? Must have been right under you.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Brad, did that earthquake shake the sap loose for you? Must have been right under you.
    What time did that happen? I was sitting at the table eating my dinner when I heard a noise that made the dog jump and bark. That was somewhere between 5:30 and 5:45 this evening. I didn't feel any rumbling or anything just heard the "what was that?" type noise.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Quick update: Figures as soon as I need more late nights we are shorthanded at work so need to be in earlier all this week... but making syrup so its worth it.

Had over 700 gallons by Tuesday. so made first syrup of the year. It was very tough to filter though. Had to break down the press several times but then when checked it after it was about was about WAY over heavy so that makes sense.

sap slowed quite a bit over the last 2 days to have about 350 gallons for Thursday night. but cam home from work yesterday and vac. pump was limping along not sounding good at all only at 15" thought uh oh. but belts were failing I knew I needed new ones on there so had back ups ready to go. switched them out and back in business. Don;t think missed too much considering. then once things got going Releaser issues. The mechanism on the newer lapierre releasers has a little spring loaded plate that changes the direction of the vac to move the piston to shut off the vac to the holding tank of the releaser and was dumping but then getting stuck. took off the top, flushed it with hot water adjusted one of the stop pins and lubed it and it seems to be working good now.

I hope the forecast holds strong for the next weeks.

Hope everyone else is going well!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

I combined my syrup from Tuesday and Wednesday's boils and had 16.5 gallons to run through the press. About half way through the press clogged up and I had to stop. I was too tired to deal with it so I left it for later. The density was right on so I know that it is just too much nitre in the syrup.

You didn't miss anything yesterday. I only pulled in about 70 gallons with no vacuum or releaser issues.
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by BlueberryHill View Post
    I was hoping to hold off until February before I drill any holes but comments like this are making ma want to go out and start this weekend. Planning to keep an eye on it and see how the extended outlook is on Sat. AM.
    Well it depends on what you have for taps. I never tap my buckets this early. but since the majority of my taps are vacuum its a closed system and they will run even after the season is over. Not sure why it did that twice... whatever!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast