+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3/16 tubing system install

Default 3/16 tubing system install

I have a row of trees along the edge of a field I was going to tap. I was at the local dealer last year and he suggested I put them on 3/16 tubing. The slope isn't as steep as I originally thought I would say it's a 15 foot drop from the first tree to where I'm going to put the collection tank. I was thinking to take up the elevation needed I was going to use a ladder to install the last taps and run the line down to the collection tank connecting all the taps/drops along the way. I was going to put 30 taps on each line and run each line like the first. Should this give it enough vacuum? I would think it would. I'm including pictures the first being at the tank location the second being 5 ft above the ravine. Thanks in advance. IMG_1140.jpgIMG_1142.jpg

Grateful Maple I am also running my first 3/16 line this year, drops and buckets up until now. I ran my lines today just need to install drops w/Ts. I would say worse case scenerior is very little vacuum but one collection point.

If you have 15' drop you will get about 14" vacuum at the top and just under 5" on that lowest tree. Any vacuum is better than none. Even with that little rise you will be amazed at the flow.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Now I was told that if the upper tap was up high it would make enough vacuum on the whole system. Would it be worth tapping all my trees up high if it doesn't work like that.

It's recommended min 30ft drop from the lowest tap for optimal vac. Not sure if you will have enough vacuum to overcome the size difference between 3/16 and 5/16 might be better to use standard 5/16 gravity flow. Cheap enough to experiment maybe Dr. Tim will chime in.

3/16" is your best bet. Any natural vacuum is better than no natural vacuum. I had a sapline last year with only 20' of drop. It was on the north side of a hill in a cold swamp and it took forever before it flowed, but when it did get the line full, it flowed and flowed and flowed good sap until well after the warmer lines turned buddy.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

My 3/16 lines run like gangbusters. Some have nearly no slope at all. Other than my lines on vac, all new lines are 3/16 no matter the drop. Dr. Tim has said some vac is better than no vac, as noted here earlier.

..speaking of lines, I've got to get back out and get more in today. Would like to get them all in today (just dreaming I guess).
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Gratefulmaple View Post
    Now I was told that if the upper tap was up high it would make enough vacuum on the whole system. Would it be worth tapping all my trees up high if it doesn't work like that.
    No. It might be worth it to put one or two up high in order to get a little vacuum going to start the whole thing, but doing it on all the trees is not productive. Beyond the PITA factor of tapping with a ladder, you are losing head pressure from each tree and will get less flow from the tree as you go higher up. You lose a ft of water column pressure for each ft higher you tap, so basically you're going to break even at best.

This is the same reason that using 3/16" drops into buckets isn't going to get much of any return. Say that you normally tap 2 ft up and put the buckets on the ground with droplines going into them. If you put 3/16" tubing in, you're going to gain about 0.88" Hg vacuum for that difference in height from the tap to the top of the bucket. Ah....but your brain is working on overtime (and perhaps a few cold ones), so you think....I'll tap 6 ft up with 3/16" and get 6 ft x 0.88" Hg per ft, and end up with 5.28" Hg....pretty good and what a smart boy you are. EXCEPT that you lose that extra 4 ft of head pressure in the tree by tapping 6 ft high instead of 2 ft high, so your net result is no gain in vacuum at all. Now if you normally tap 6 ft high with buckets (pretty unusual) then maybe you'll gain a little with 3/16" drops, but otherwise....no.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I put in 13 taps on 3/16 tubing for first time on west facing hill. All sugars , after an hour it was drawing 25 on the vac gauge no more hiking the hill to empty buckets. I would post pictures but cannot figure it out from my phone. Going to run another line today

I am also new to tubing, and my 3/16 is working well. Lines are 300' and about 50' drop with 15 taps each. The question I have is how much gas is expected out of trees? I get a lot, and the % gas/sap seems to depends on flow. On a good day, would you expect 30 to 50% bubbles? I think I have a tight system, and have fixed a couple of small leaks, but do I need to check seal on the spile?
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast