+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Woodville

Yeah I didn't check my buckets tonight when I got home, but there definitely wasn't much to speak of yesterday evening. I assume the same thing you're alluding to, took more than one day to thaw out a bit.

Hopefully a good run over the next few days before the temps get REAL low again in our area this weekend.
    2016 - 5 taps - soda bottles and water jugs - boiled over a firepit - 3 quarts
    2017 - 15 taps - 5g buckets - barrel evaporator - "Bessie" - 2.85 gallons

Things are starting to drip in Woodville again. Nothing to collect yet, but at least things are moving again. Weather looks really good ahead including some deep freezes. Strange season for sure, but strange in a good way at least.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Looks like we may get a shot at a good run next week as well Took a walk out back tonight to do some clearing and shoveling Had 23" of snow in the woods ugh! Good luck next week!!
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
    Looks like we may get a shot at a good run next week as well Took a walk out back tonight to do some clearing and shoveling Had 23" of snow in the woods ugh! Good luck next week!!
    We got 21 inches down in Granville. Over the last 2 nights I groomed my main trails with my snowmobile & drag, stomped out snowshoe trails to all my buckets and along my tubing so I can inspect things. I also dug out a couple of tubing sections that go under and out bridges. I know, sounds crazy, but I enjoy the exercise. Have not had a drop of sap since last Friday. I tapped Feb. 18th. I will be curious to see if any taps will have gone dormant with this long freeze. Any thoughts on this? Curious to know what sugar camp/stand chores you folks go though after a big snow storm.
    50 taps ave. half on buckets half on 3/16
    2x3 pan on fire brick / fieldstone arch
    started 2012

if your taps are going to run again is anyones guess, hopefully they hold out for you awhile longer. as for clearing the 20 ins of snow around sugarbush & sugar house, i grab a shovel and jump on my ih dozer to clear things up, its kinda fun makes me feel like a kid again playing with my toys lol
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

Still dribbling in Woodville. I thought I'd be completely done by now, but I've picked up about 70-80 gallons since I boiled on Tuesday. Most of the buckets are still running and the vac is keeping that line going. The gravity lines are pretty much done. I might be able to squeeze out a few more drops this weekend and that will probably do it.

If anyone nearby is calling it quits and you have decent sap coming in, send me a PM.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

All my my buckets except for one or two seem to have pretty much stopped as of this weekend. Looks like it's coming to a close in our area.
    2016 - 5 taps - soda bottles and water jugs - boiled over a firepit - 3 quarts
    2017 - 15 taps - 5g buckets - barrel evaporator - "Bessie" - 2.85 gallons

I collected about 40 gallons last night and sap is still running. Got a good freeze last night so more sap today.
    The first two lines I set out 6 weeks ago are slowing down, one has stopped. Next year the drops will get replaced. The brand new line I put up at the same time is running the best. Buckets which were set out last are running well but there are only 10 of them.
    Probably going to be shy of last years total but I know I made some mistakes that are correctable for next year relating to taphole sanitation (like not cleaning my lines last spring... oops!) so it was another learning year for me. My three S3 vacuum controllers worked out great.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Same here in many ways. Just touched 32 last night and will be 60ish today. I'll boil off what I get and be done. Sap was up this year, by syrup was down - mistakes also playing a big part. Some too painful to put in writing.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

That's all she wrote. I ended the season with another loss. I had 110 gallons of raw sap for today, but the sweet I pulled from the pan and kept in buckets from the last boil went ropey. I thought I was good having it packed in snow, but in hindsight I should have put it in the chest freezer. Seventeen gallons of sweet gone. I should be happy it went bad in the buckets and not in the pan.

I was able to process the raw sap and get what I had boiled. Tomorrow, I'll pull it off the back pan and finish it on the front.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast