+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of drill

Somewhere between Poultney and Bellows Falls

I bought the milwaukee brushless m18 last year. (1200 in/lb version). It has a single 4amp/hr battery. It is overkill for just tapping but I needed a drill that would fill multiple needs. There was a day last year where I used it to drill 18 8-inch holes in the ice for my kids to fish then drilled 275 taps in the afternoon on a single battery. It's expensive, but amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just bought a dewalt 20 volt max lithium ion drill this morning at lowes..drill/2 batterys/charger and case for 99$...not turning down at that price

When I added 2,000 taps in 2013, I thought that the 18v Milwaukee drill that I had with 5 Lithium ion batteries ( 3- 2 amp hr small xc and 2 - 3 amp hr large) and would work fine to do a days worth of taping. I got about 125 2" deep 5/16 holes with each of the 3 amp hr larger batteries and 35 - 40 holes with the small 2 amp hr batteries. All 5 batteries were dead by 1:30. I went home, researched Dewalt drills and bought the 20v max xr brushless drill (DCD 995) with 2- 4 amp hr batteries. The drill is a bit heavier but has a 2,000 rpm speed. The batteries consistently get 325 -330 holes from each battery. On a good day, I can sometimes put in more than 650 holes, so I bought a third battery and that one does 410 holes. (I checked it twice, 414 the first time, 410 the second use). My opinion, Dewalt all the way.
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Quote Originally Posted by SPILEDRIVER View Post
    just bought a dewalt 20 volt max lithium ion drill this morning at lowes..drill/2 batterys/charger and case for 99$...not turning down at that price

This year I got exactly what Spiledriver reports above. A Dewalt 20 volt drill with two lithium ion batteries for $99. (Got it on Amazon).
    It is a two speed drill. On the higher speed, with a new 5/16th tapping bit from Bascom's, it is really an improvement over the 18volt I was using.
    The bit augers in really fast, doesn't wallow around, and clears the tap hole much better of residual chips. Best drilling setup I've used so far.

I had been using a Skill 18volt with Lithium Ion batteries past few years.
    The only thing I miss a little is the LEDs on the Skill batteries that indicated the charge level: (low, medium, and full). That was a nice visual to let me know when I needed to switch batteries. No such indication on the Dewalt batteries, but the sound of the drill does let you know when the battery is winding down.

This year with the 20 volt Dewalt I was able to do about 300 taps on a charge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's funny, talking drills is like the Chevy/Ford/Dodge argument. I would say you'd be fine with any of the newer 20v drills with li-ion batteries.

These are fine drills but they are the cheaper version with brushes, not the Heavy Duty commercial grade XR brushless just so their is no confusion. The brushless version is $ 199 at Lowes with 2 of 2 amp hour XR batteries and $ 259 with impact driver and drill.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
    This year I got exactly what Spiledriver reports above. A Dewalt 20 volt drill with two lithium ion batteries for $99. (Got it on Amazon).
    It is a two speed drill. On the higher speed, with a new 5/16th tapping bit from Bascom's, it is really an improvement over the 18volt I was using.
    The bit augers in really fast, doesn't wallow around, and clears the tap hole much better of residual chips. Best drilling setup I've used so far.

I had been using a Skill 18volt with Lithium Ion batteries past few years.
    The only thing I miss a little is the LEDs on the Skill batteries that indicated the charge level: (low, medium, and full). That was a nice visual to let me know when I needed to switch batteries. No such indication on the Dewalt batteries, but the sound of the drill does let you know when the battery is winding down.

This year with the 20 volt Dewalt I was able to do about 300 taps on a charge.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

I like my craftman sear 19.2 volt

Sam
    Shelton,connecticut

+ Reply to Thread