+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it all over already?

Default Is it all over already?

Sap had stopped yesterday,,, 2/14/17 and with a Guzzler on. This week calling for temps in the 70s for 3-4 days. I gave bucket another washing as it might????? just maybe freeze tonight. I saw a very small shrub that had green leaves on it. I didn't have time to study it to figure out what it might have been.
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

Default forecast not very good

we've made 9 gallons so far. the last batch of sap sat in buckets at over 70deg for a few hours on Feb 11, and syrup was a little dark. i think we will collect one last time tomorrow, then pull out the taps. forecast for next 8 nighttime temps for our area are all above 32 deg.

also fyi this may be the first february with no snow in kansas city area since 1892. weird weather!
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

Nothing today not sap. The only reason I'm not pulling taps is that no buds have started to swell on maples,,, not even sliver,, soft maples. I did notice that 'white' elm is getting ready to bloom. I know about no snow,,,,,,, three times furries and one dusting. But I think back to the February of 1961. No snow until February 14,,(which is already past),, and then the next 4 weeks I was out of school more days than in, Drifts of 10-12 feet for way down here. So I still hold out hope for some snow and cold.
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

Yeah, it's crazy. Typically I get one boil in early March. This year we barely made it to mid-February.

Done here. Hope to finish pulling taps and get everything put away this weekend. Hard to believe two years ago we finished the season with 217 gallons on 460 taps and this year we finished with 25 gallons from 465. Guess that's the nature of agriculture though. Can you get crop insurance on maple? Think I'm going to plant a couple acres of sorghum to make up the difference. Lots of people down here try to call maple syrup molasses, anyway.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

Think we are done for the year also. 38 gallons last year and only 12 this year. Lot of work for not much reward😫

Hopefully this isn't the new normal.

It's not looking good here either. I'm with Sugarbush Ridge, we are holding out for one more good run. This can't be the end already. Maybe we should tap in December next year!
    Matthew
    Highly modified Leader Half Pint with Smoky Lake 2 x 4 Raised Flue
    14' Grain Bin Sugar House
    152 taps on 3/16 tubing
    MES Dolly 100 RO
    Homemade filter/canning tank with an electric water jacket
    Kubota RTV 1100
    http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Maple%20Syrup/

It was a low of 23 this morning, so I did go put the Guzzler on but only a few drops all day. Holes so dry that only got about 6 inches. I guess I'll start pulling spouts and try using Guzzler to pull some water thru lines. I want to replace most all with 3/16th but,,, how much more can I spend on no syrup?????

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbush Ridge View Post
    how much more can I spend on no syrup?????
    Yep, we may need a few good cold winters here before I'm convinced it's worth the time, money, and effort.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast