+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dill 2017 Something's happening here

Quote Originally Posted by Dill View Post
    I haven't tested my sugar, figure its one more thing to go wrong. Pulled 5 gallons off tonight. Im blowing through wood and time it seems. Its time for an RO. Anyone have recommendations for a 250?
    For an operation the size that yours is going to be you need a 600. I recommend the Lapierre.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

This a a bottle from last season and one from this past weekend. I guess I never really have had such golden syrup before. I knew I had medium to dark but NEVER realized it was that dark LOL The RO and the better evaporator certainly have changed up my process and results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

I read a lot of threads on which I don't comment, and I've been reading yours since last year.

I just want to say I wish you well this year because if anyone deserves a break, it's you.

Good luck!

Thanks we've had a great run of bad farming luck this last year.
    I made a big change and switched from sappy pine to balsa weight pine that josh I cut 4 years ago and forgot about in the cow pasture mixed with ash I stole from next winters house stash. Holy crap now this rig singing. Probably doubled gph I was down around 60 yesterday.
    Sap dog isn't so sure it's raining in here tonight.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Good wood makes a huge difference. I'm probably going to have to raid my furnace wood stash myself. I've used almost a third of the wood that I put in for sugaring and haven't made a third of a seasons syrup yet. My guesstimation is that I'm going to run out of wood with season enough left to make 25 gallons more.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Well my sugar content is 1.4% which explains why I'm boiling forever and not making much syrup. The main bush we've tapped at home so far is wet red maple. This is a good reason to get the higher living sugars for next year. We have another 500 or so to add.
    Starting to get a better feel for this rig. Almost had a big issue today, the flu pan float hung up and suddenly it was dropping level fast, but all is well now.
    Drained the preheater and the feed line from the headtank, turned off the vac pump, looks like we are froze up til monday. Maybe it will send the sugar content back up.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Holy hell is it cold for march. Tractor barely wanted to start this morning after being plugged in all night. Evap is froze solid. Plan for the day was too add more taps. But I haven't got to the woods yet. 15 degs but the wind is whipping. Went up to the ridge yesterday and got a 1500 gal poly tank from Pearls for a permate tank. If all goes right we are picking up a 600 CDL from Bascoms tuesday morning and trying to slam it in to place. Looks like great sap flow for the whole 15 day. Accu is much colder than weather.com for a change. One of them is right.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

man I hope they right!!! they honestly haven't been that accurate the past few weeks. So aint sayin nothin'

you hear from Josh at all? I was over by his woods today picking up wood pellets and his truck was there but he must have been in the woods.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

A CDL 600 is a nice machine. How much syrup have you made so far and how is the color? I may need to trade some lighter stuff or some dark stuff again.
    Russ

I've been making borderline dark/very dark. Low sugar content i'm guessing is why. I'm currently at 350 taps and I've only made 15 gals. Right now I decided it was better to work on my taxes than the woods today.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast