+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dill 2017 Something's happening here

Default Dill 2017 Something's happening here

But what is ain"t exactly clear. There's a man with a screwgun over there telling me I've got to make holes.

Anyway.
    Been a busy year around here. Got a woodshed built onto the back of the sugarhouse, got 12 cords under cover and a couple more in a pile.
    Ran a few more 3/4 lines in early jan here at home. Hired Jeff from Windswept to run laterals. Probably got 350 drops cut in now. Trying new end rings and dead end tees. Figure I have to run about 200 more lateral lines. Still need to run saddles on what I have out there and tie some mainline back into the wet/dry system.
    Moved a new woods tank out. And built a roof for it last wensday in 50deg sun and lack of snow. Now we got 2 storms in 5 days each dropping about 16inches.
    Got a sogevac SV65 for the home woods this year. Way too big a pump for the current setup but I got a wicked deal on it.

Right now the plan is to have at least part of my woods tapped by this weekend and just adding more trees. I haven't even looked at the Northwood sugarbush yet this year.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Hey Alden it's good to see that you are making progress. Hopefully you will be able to get tapped before the big runs come. Good luck with the new season.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Have fun! Good report! Keep tapping till it hurts! If you want the best end rings try CDL. they hold real well on 5/16. That's about the only ones I use. I like the blind tees too. Keeps that sap out of the end of the line where it may get yucky. I also designed a sliding loop on the lines at the end trees to allow me to tighten or loose the lines. Tight and down hill in Dill thats the ticket!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 02-15-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Made a supply run to bascoms yesterday. Man those get expensive fast. I asked them if they would drop a releaser off at Lappierre back in Dec. Have to say I'm impressed they hauled it up and back no problem. And lap was able to reseal the bottom. Turned into a blizzard up on top of the hill and it took a while to leave cause there was a stuck tractor trailer trying to come up.
    Today I focused on plowing and the cows. But I found a gem for the sugarhouse. I checked find an avocado recliner off the preseason punch list. Now I just to find a harvest gold loveseat to match.

Tomorrow is going to be a full day on snowshoes. Lots of saddles to install. And I'm meeting with a well guy about setting a pump down at the woods tank.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

sounds like things are coming alone!!! the releaser bottoms are a pain in the butt!!! had one go last year try to fix it and broke it so lappierre wouldn't fix it or replace it had to buy another one but they just charged me for the bottom. canister.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Spent a great day in the woods on snowshoes. Turns out I got a sunburn even. Got the pumpline to the sugarhouse built. Just need to run it to the bulk tank. Installed a crap ton (that's an official number), of saddles. Tomorrow, I"m actually going to take a drill to the woods, should have 300 on gravity by noon.The electrician is coming monday to wire in outlets. But I won't have the fancy oil for the sogevac pumps til friday so I think I"m going to run the old Sp11 for a few days til we can switch to highvac. Have 3 more mainlines of laterals to work up. So I need to get off the comp and whip up some more drops.

Oh and I got a cool little well pump that I can run off 110. So I only need to bring a small genset down to the woods. That's monday's project.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Sweet, it's good to see that you are making progress. You should be able to make some syrup this year even with the SP 11 doing the sucking.

It sounds like your sap pump line should work good for you. With the bigger tractor I have found that it is easier and faster to pump the sap from the woods tank directly into the 325 gallon tank on the sap trailer. Two trips to the tank and back is faster than pumping up the hill and draining the pipe back. The drain back was the slowest part.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

That's funny I got a sunburn too! I thought a was crazy but I guess not. I hit it hard yesterday got the rest of my taps in. After finding a few squirrel chews, and a few loose taps I had my 3/16's line up to 20in of vac. Not sure if I can make it better or not, it's new to me. I'm going to collect now and hoping to boil.
    Started in 2013 with 15 taps on buckets and a turkey frier.
    Now 2020, 250 taps, 3/16's with vac. 10x14 sugarhouse. 2x6 Leader raised flue. Homemade 50 gal per hour RO.
    Munson's Maple’s

Got 200 taps in this afternoon. Felt really good to some of my trees with holes in them. Got some wet/dry connections cut in this morning. Have to run out and get some more hose clamps and hog rings in the morning. Forgot how fast these burn them up. Have another 100 taps ready to drill too, then some more drops to cut in and saddles. Current plan is work here all week and then it looks like all the snow will be gone by next weekend so I figure then I'm going to hit the Northwood bush hard.
    main.jpg
    BTW my dog was standing on my snowshoes so he didn't sink. Which doesn't make working on mainline any easier.
    Last edited by Dill; 02-20-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Just spent 3 hours on snowshoes over lines and weaving through the woods. Get home for lunch, park the car and wham! down on the ice. Man that hurt.
    Forgot that I only finger tightened the tank plug when I set it in the woods. So I haven't collected much sap yet. This weather is getting nuts supposed to be 60 tomorrow? Thank goodness we have serious snowpack.
    Added another 100 taps this morning.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast