+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1% sugar.

Default 1% sugar.

So far we have ran 735 gallons of sap. Made 9 gallons of finished syrup. The pans are still sweet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That's much better than 1% sap. It would be about 1.1 if you had no sweet in the pans. Generally in the pans if sweetened you will have the average of about 25-35% sugar and that is a lot of sugar, depending on the volume of your pans. You may actually have almost 2% sap.
    Do you have a long sap hydrometer, or a good test meter? The short ones are very tough to get a good reading on them, the long ones read to 1/10 of a %.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I feel your pain. Low sugar right from the tree, and trying to keep sap in this weather is taking its toll. This past weekend we averaged 58:1.

Eric,
    So whats the issue? Have you checked the sap and calibrated the sap hydrometer in water? Sounds like your doing good to me. From dry pans I boiled in 1200 gallons of sap and made 21 gallons of syrup. There is always work in process sap in the rig.
    If you don't like the sugar content, find better trees! Sometimes easier said than done.
    Sounds like your having fun! Hey a R.O. can take care of boiling low sugar content sap too! Just saying!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread