+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Wisconsin. 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Austin351 View Post
    Anyone north of Hwy 8 feel like the season hasn't even really started? Sounds like central WI has already peaked. My woods are still pretty frozen and although I do get some days with some drips, I wouldn't say I have seen a hard run yet... I have been messing with 3/16" this year so that has been a learning experience but my bags aren't doing anything great either. Been tapped since first of March.
    I am just south of 64 and things are just starting to get rolling for me so no you are not alone. I had a nice run a couple weeks back, but then it froze hard again and is just starting to thaw again.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

Anyone north of Hwy 8 feel like the season hasn't even really started? Sounds like central WI has already peaked. My woods are still pretty frozen and although I do get some days with some drips, I wouldn't say I have seen a hard run yet... I have been messing with 3/16" this year so that has been a learning experience but my bags aren't doing anything great either. Been tapped since first of March.
    Austin, I have had the same experience so far as you. My sap sacks are taking a few days to fill 1/2 way, but my 3/16ths are doing better. I LOVE THAT STUFF! If only I could do all of my trees that way. I have 50 sacks and 50 on 3/16. With the weather taking until mid to late afternoon to get above freezing, it's frustrating. The weather forecasts are off quite a bit, and the cloudy skies sure don't help either.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

I,m way up north by lake superior , My sap sacks suck between no real run and squirrels/turkeys & ice suck but my3/16 has been awesome considering the weather. I have put 2 shurflos on some of my 3/16 and it really has made a difference. Just yesterday I got 135gals off 85 taps on my shurflo and the 5 bag in the yard had almost nothing I,m a believer as this is my first year using tubing & I,m adding more tubing on my other shurflo any comments form others

Washburn, Wi (sugarcamp south of Ashland)

Things have really picked up the pace in Ashland County; we collected 62 gallons on 45 taps yesterday and the trees were dripping hard! Working today, so can't wait until tomorrow to see what I find.

Joe
    New to tapping in 2015! 24 taps on bags - 3 1/2 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 50 taps on bags - 8 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 45 taps on bag - 4 1/2 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 58 taps on bags - 7 1/2 gallons of syrup

Smoky Lake 2X4 flat pan
    2018 - Smoky Lake 2X5 Corsair Arch with custom built pre-heater pan - 16 GPH!

YEP! I'm about 30 miles north of 8 been tapped in for some time and almost nothing here. Jay
    Zucker Lager

Finally filled my tote yesterday. Neighbor pumped it for me last night about 8pm. Today by 2 pm there was another 80+ gallons from my 80 taps. Once again the southernmost string was running steady the next one in was so-so and the 3rd was pretty lazy. Things are just starting to roll, but sugar content is quite low this year. Started at 2.0 and already dropping the way it seems.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 03-25-2017 at 08:24 PM.
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly

Default Slow Going

We are near the UP, and things seem to be just starting by us. We had 32 taps out for the past two weeks, and collected only about 35 gallons total in that whole time. We refreshed the tap holes on a few of the trees to see if that was an issue, and it made no difference. It seems that we are just too close to the Arctic Circle. Maybe this week will get things going.

This week should tell me more but thinking my woods just take longer to thaw out.. The majority are at the bottom of a north facing slope, stays fairly moist down there also. Tapped 6 trees on the neighbors property of which all were on a hill with good southern exposure. Guess I'll find out when I get back on Thursday evening..

Quote Originally Posted by mike z View Post
    I just checked the buckets. Most were near empty. Just a few trees starting to run, not many. Don't think Ill have a collection until late tomorrow. (...and that's a big maybe).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were still running Monday eve with about 125 gallons in the tank from 80 taps in 2 days.

Nice solid freeze last night down to the mid 20's with 50 forecast high and sunny today. Looking good for the rest of the week as well. Finally a bit of sun and warm yet still dipping into a freeze at night.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 03-28-2017 at 08:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast