+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Wisconsin. 2017

Tapped 130 3/16 tubing and 160 bags on Saturday. Shurflo turned on around 11 on Sun. Not much moving until around 4. Then things broke loose.
    2024 - 150 on 3/16, 15 bags
    2023 - 150 on 3/16, 8 bags
    2022 - 150 on 3/16, 12 bags
    2021 - 150 on 3/16, 12 bags
    2020 - 150 on 3/16
    2019 - took the year off
    2018 - 152 taps on 3/16 , 8 bags
    2017 - 130 taps on 3/16 & shurflo, 160 bags
    2x6 Lapierre, homemade hood/pre-heater/draw off/auf/sealed door/RO

I kind of hit the north central designation tapping near Merrill WI. I set up my 3/16 on a 25' elevation drop this weekend. Sunday saw light flow start shortly after noon then dropped off and finally around 4pm when we were about to leave things seemed to be starting to roll. I tend to be a bit behind the curve where many are getting big runs days if not weeks before I do. I'm kind of in a valley on a back slope so I'm sure that factors in.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    I managed to get all my tubing tapped by late Friday night. I missed most all of last Monday and Tuesdays 2 gallon per tap. I managed to salvage 500 gallons though which turned to lots of ice. Tress didn't do much saturday, but apparently they started throught the night and are running good right now at midnight. I will have full tanks by morning at this rate. I'm not monkeying around and lose any more and am staying up all night to get the ro and evap. put together. I got most of the tubing vacuum checked today and am at good levels.

I ended up getting Monday off from work, so just have to work Tuesday and Saturday this week which is great. Planning on my first boil sometime Monday if things go right.
    Hey Mark, I'm glad to hear you got 'em tapped. It sure feels good to know there's sap filling those tanks. I hope you got everything else setup alright and that we get some more sap today and tomorrow.

My trees over here started running good Saturday mid day and have been running very well since then. I think I brought in over a gallon per tap in the last 12 hours alone. Got my new cooker fired up yesterday evening at about 5:00 and cooked 850 or 900 gallons before we shut it down at 10:30. This was my first time seeing it in action and I'm REALLY pleased with it. I love the cross flow pan setup and that 4x14 sure screams through sap compared to my 2x10. It makes a dent in the wood pile in short order too.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Missed out on the thundertorm/low pressure sap run over the weekend. Will finish tapping tomorrow and be ready by next week. Hopefully the weather will hold out with at least a couple weeks or more of favorable temps. Alot of syrup can be made in 2 weeks. Hats off to all you producers who were ready. Always a guessing game.

I guessed wrong on that last big run too. I am happy to hear how others did, my neighbor was boiling away like mad. Time to clean the tree branches off sap trails and tap trees.
    301 buckets

Mike- I pass through Ladysmith a couple times a week and see lines just north of town on the west side of the road. Are those yours?

Nope, I'm about 10 miles northeast of Ladysmith, and have alum. buckets that are still sitting in the house. Curses anyway, I should have put them up last weekend.
    301 buckets

Not sure if it's our elevation or what?? but 2 producers close to me didn't fair well this past weekend they told us. One who is on high vacuum said I didnt miss much and one who is on bags wishes he would of waited. All of us are in price county. I finished tapping today with just low areas having patchy snow left. My priority now is to watch over my 165 month old laying chicks... below zero the next mornings so gotta monitor the heat lamps. Funny how us syrup makers are involved with chickens/ and or/ honey bees. Any way to grub out a living I suppose.

After over a week of dormancy with temps below freezing things got going late today. Neighbor says that my South line (most drop) had 18" of vacuum in it while the north line was 10". Previously 14" was max observed. Not much to show for volume yet, but should be rocking Friday and hopefully again Saturday.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

Slow yesterday by me. Thought it would be better hitting 41 degrees. Snow and sleet this morning so maybe better with low pressure??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast