+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Wisconsin. 2017

I started tapping yesterday and everything was running. The ones on the south edge of an open field just poured. Got the vacuum going and fixed several leaks, the air was dead calm, perfect for leak checking in the dark. I talked to a friend last night who started pulling by 2/17 and he had already gotten 6 gallons per tap thus far on vac. Onto more tapping!
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I got about 225 taps put in on Sunday afternoon. Hooked them into my mainline yesterday morning and achieved sap collection by about 11:00. Sap was coming in pretty good by that time. By 8:30 this morning I had 200 gallons in the tank. That was just 3/16 natural vacuum. I just finished installing my Shurflo pump and fixing a few easy leaks. The rest of them I will have to wait until I have help to fix, because I'm still on crutches. The sap is coming in pretty good right now. I'm just sitting on the quad listening to that pump "chew" for a couple minutes.

A week ago there was a lot that needed to happen to get to this point, and I had needed a lot of help to make it happen. I've been so fortunate to get the help I need at a crucial time. A big thanks to Cody's dad, Todd for coming over yesterday and plugging in all those saddles. And another big thanks to all the folks who showed up on Sunday and helped me get tapped, get the stack up, and set my pans on the arch.

rps20170228_105019_649.jpg
    rps20170228_105057_570.jpg
    rps20170228_105135.jpg
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Going to start tapping tomorrow. Hopefully by Saturday afternoon I'm done. Temps look like no cool down after Thursday so here we go.

Heard from a producer friend this afternoon that not much is happening up here yet. He's been tapping the last few days and said some holes got wet but not enough to get a stream out of the mainlines yet. He wants to be done by Thursday in hopes something starts by the weekend into next week. My woods is about 3 miles away so I doubt I missed to much hearing that report. I bet alot of taps get put in this weekend in northern Wisconsin!

Washburn, Wi (sugarcamp south of Ashland)

Hung 45 taps today with bags in northern Ashland county. For 18*F I couldn't believe the number of trees which were producing today.....some started running as soon as I pulled the drill bit! Sure seems like the trees are not very "sleepy" this winter.

Joe
    New to tapping in 2015! 24 taps on bags - 3 1/2 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 50 taps on bags - 8 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 45 taps on bag - 4 1/2 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 58 taps on bags - 7 1/2 gallons of syrup

Smoky Lake 2X4 flat pan
    2018 - Smoky Lake 2X5 Corsair Arch with custom built pre-heater pan - 16 GPH!

Going to tap today in Mosinee area. Hoping I didn't miss much

I put out 100 or so taps on March 1, 2, 3. Warm enough today, but awfully windy. Maybe a quart in some bags or pails, nothing to collect yet.

Put 2 days in on tapping last week and after hearing a few local weathermen say a cool down for this week I stopped to see what was going to happen after the weekend forecast models... looks like cold temps the whole week up here by us so glad I stopped tapping on thursday. I have 2 days yet to finish so not as much pressure to finish when the temps seemed like I should be done already.

I also stopped today. About 400 left. Warm and windy today. Not much running
    3500 taps, vacuum.

I managed to get all my tubing tapped by late Friday night. I missed most all of last Monday and Tuesdays 2 gallon per tap. I managed to salvage 500 gallons though which turned to lots of ice. Tress didn't do much saturday, but apparently they started throught the night and are running good right now at midnight. I will have full tanks by morning at this rate. I'm not monkeying around and lose any more and am staying up all night to get the ro and evap. put together. I got most of the tubing vacuum checked today and am at good levels.

I ended up getting Monday off from work, so just have to work Tuesday and Saturday this week which is great. Planning on my first boil sometime Monday if things go right.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast