+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Wisconsin. 2017

Word on the street down around the Menomonie area is 3-4 gallons per tap have already ran with those on vacuum and that tapped on Valentines Day. I guess the sugar content is nothing to brag about. I have heard 1.9% to 2.1%. I have only tapped 3 test trees, one big boxelder by my shack has ran 2.5 gallons, huge silver maple in our yard ran the bag over Monday (thing runs all the time whether it freezes or not) the last tree in the woods, I have not been there since I tapped it. These were all on Valentines Day tapped. The silver maple sugar was 3.2%,, however. I'm thinking I'll hit tapping after this snowstorm.

I really didn't want to deal with this warm weather trying to keep sap b/c of off farm work yet.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

This year is my first attempt at sugaring. My location is a forested valley about 15 miles west of Shell Lake. I tapped 20 trees and set bags on 2/18. As of yesterday I have next to nothing, about 2 gallons of sap total. I got a quart out of a couple of trees, half of the rest are barely wet, the remainder totally dry. I plan to tap another 10-20 trees. Based on the weather forecast I will probably wait another 10 days or so to tap more trees.

You are further north and if you are on open taps, another 10 days will be fine. I obviously have missed some sap and will be missing more Monday and Tuesday. I am going to start tapping tomorrow. This is 2 years in a row now that we should have been tapped by February 20th. It is a guessing game.

On Thursday night, I was able to drive back to my one tank in the woods with water for cleaning and you would have thought it was April 1. No mud, frost gone, unbelievable for 2-23.

The guys that tapped early probably did the right thing.....(those on vacuum). Am thinking maybe these equipment guys should rethink their open house plans and start having in the fall.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.

I agree with you on the open houses. Waiting til early February to get a deal on tubing or applied at the open house doesn't fit into the schedule if we gotta be tapped by the 20th.

Mark, i hope our taps will just run extra hard and we can make up for the lost time last week. On the one hand, the sap woulda been nice, but on those 60 degree days, I was happy I didn't have holes drilled. Vacuum or not.
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Quote Originally Posted by motowbrowne View Post
    I agree with you on the open houses. Waiting til early February to get a deal on tubing or applied at the open house doesn't fit into the schedule if we gotta be tapped by the 20th.

Mark, i hope our taps will just run extra hard and we can make up for the lost time last week. On the one hand, the sap woulda been nice, but on those 60 degree days, I was happy I didn't have holes drilled. Vacuum or not.
    I hope so and I guess there are worse things. Yeh, the sample tap boxelder I dumped out Thursday night resembled something of a few days before the end of the season.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
    This year is my first attempt at sugaring. My location is a forested valley about 15 miles west of Shell Lake. I tapped 20 trees and set bags on 2/18. As of yesterday I have next to nothing, about 2 gallons of sap total. I got a quart out of a couple of trees, half of the rest are barely wet, the remainder totally dry. I plan to tap another 10-20 trees. Based on the weather forecast I will probably wait another 10 days or so to tap more trees.
    I think that would be a very good idea Joe Bob. I plan on doing the same for my sap sacks. I did tap my 3/16th lines though. With it being a "closed system" the taps stay good until the tree buds.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

No regrets here on not tapping. Looks like I will just watch the long range forecast and hopefully start around March 7th tapping like normal. Ended up with 8" of snow but that will settle and melt fast the next warm days. Also glad I waited because I don't like concentrated sap sitting so long in the evaporator.. and to drain a big evaporator and finish it off on a flat pan is only fun at the end of the season.

I don't think I missed much so far. What I miss in the next few days, I hope to be able to make up for at the end of the season. Might tap at the end of the week???
    301 buckets

I put out 125 taps today. Still not sure about when to put out the rest. The 12 test pails I have out vary from 1/4- full to 3/4+ full. But that took 4days to reach that. I hate to miss much and we sure don't know how long everything will last.
    400 pails
    CDL RO machine
    2x8 stainless Dallaire evaporator, wood fired
    Filter press
    Polaris 6x6 & 4x4
    Allis Chalmers WD
    Allis Chalmers G
    Built new 24' x 40' shack in 2006
    http://www.blsugarbush.com

eau claire sugar bush between ladysmith & ojibwa

This weekend might be go-time for us. Will watch the weather for next week before we completely commit. The itch to tap is almost unbearable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast