+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Wisconsin. 2017

eau claire sugar bush between ladysmith & ojibwa

Default Northern Wisconsin. 2017

Hey ladies and gents in northern wi wondering if anyone has done any test taps? If weather stays like this I'll be tapping in two weekends. Not even close to being ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put in 12 test taps with bags yesterday. It did run a bit today but nothing to get excited about. It sure does look good for 4-5 days later this week but I hate to tap to early. What does a guy do??!

flying squirrel maple, what a neat name! I think I'm going to start tapping my one bush by Friday and just not try to get worked up about it, not worth it. Really ticks me off that Leader advertised their new clear checkspouts and then am being told they don't know when or if they will be here for season. Well the season is now morons!! I'm a little hesitant to go with the black ones this early because they are black. And in my own studies the clears are mostly running when i pull, while the blacks are done. That says something about the poly carbonate.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

If you are looking for the one piece check valve spouts in clear try Bascoms. I just got 200 from them and leader shows they are out of stock.

I did a test tap yesterday, one of my later flowing trees, it was dripping immediately. I'm putting up my tubing now, but waiting for the sap sacks.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

I tapped my 2 yard trees yesterday at 2;00 PM and collected 5 gal this morning. We will tap our 3/16 tubing woods Friday. Might be boiling Sunday afternoon.
    150 on 3/16 gravity 2018 and 120 sap sacks
    14 x 20 sugar shack
    2014 New custom 2x6 arch "The Firestorm" w/ preheater, AUF & AOF
    Smokey Lake pans and water jacket bottler
    2024 new 2x8 set of drop flue pans and hood from Smoky Lake. Lengthen our arch.
    Just a hobby but seems like more work every
    year
    3 generations working together
    Wife that guards our syrup
    43.74° N

eau claire sugar bush between ladysmith & ojibwa

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    flying squirrel maple, what a neat name! I think I'm going to start tapping my one bush by Friday and just not try to get worked up about it, not worth it. Really ticks me off that Leader advertised their new clear checkspouts and then am being told they don't know when or if they will be here for season. Well the season is now morons!! I'm a little hesitant to go with the black ones this early because they are black. And in my own studies the clears are mostly running when i pull, while the blacks are done. That says something about the poly carbonate.
    First year sugaring we had a surprise in one of our buckets. The little bugger had an addiction to sap and overdosed😵

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm holding off on the temptation to tap for this first run. It's only the middle of February and I just feel it's too early. With tap viability of only 5 weeks or so, I don't want to have my taps close up too early in March. It's a gamble I know, but again....it's only the middle of Feb. Besides, I am not quite ready. Still some things to do in the sugar bush.

Ten taps today, after noon on sunny SE slope above lake: 8 began to run right away. 5 big reds down slope right on lakeshore, 3 starters; 5 mid slope sugars, all began modest flow. Guess I'll be doing batches this year. Tally Ho!
    seem to have peaked @ 20 taps: bags on hangers
    Homemade RO
    2 or 3 gallons syrup per annum, formerly with wood fire arch and batch pans
    then Dark Star 2.0 burner and 8 gal Megapot Brew Kettle with ball valve
    transitioning now to 30x17x9 flat pan

rarely have so few toiled so much for so little

Sap Aussie Gidget,
    and my one and only Jill

http://twodogsgonewild.blogspot.com/

Default Hayward 2/17/2017

Tapped my 3 trees that start the earliest every year and each had a few drops on friday noontime. Should be running soon enough. I'll update on Sunday cause we went skiing in the UP for the weekend. We must have some frost in the ground still. My trees always seem to start late. My cousin started tapping in rice lake earlier in the week and he's getting 1 gallon a tree already.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast