+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Northern Wisconsin. 2017

Ice out yesterday; sap still clear and flow increase with overnight in 20's thursday; tapped a few extra upland sugars to gain some traction on gallons for crucial final boil and pulled the taps on the reds by the water with immanent buds. Brix remains 2.3, same as Feb. I will never tap February again.
    seem to have peaked @ 20 taps: bags on hangers
    2 or 3 gallons syrup per annum with wood fire arch and batch pans
    Dark Star 2.0 burner and 8 gal Megapot Brew Kettle with ball valve for sheltered on-going propane boil

rarely have so few toiled so much for so little

Lucky, Buster
    and my one and only Jill

http://twodogsgonewild.blogspot.com/

Sold what sap I had on Friday as buyer is shutting down for the season. Sap is still running. Tank was above 125 gallons and still rolling. Likely to have 200 tomorrow but I'm done cooking. I have one more buyer to check with but if I can't find a buyer I'll give it away or worse yet dump it. It's been hanging in at 1.6.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

I boiled the last for the season overnight. I ended up getting 2700 gallons of sap between Friday and Saturday. Made good old fashioned commercial. My north slope bush of 260 taps ran gangbusters and was still running good when I killed the pump at 7 pm last night. Those 260 ran 1100 of those gallons between the 2 days. The last couple of draws lightened way up but the smell was something undescribable. Overall I did pretty good considering all of the February syrup that I wasn't able to get because I wasn't ready that early. I came in with around 2/3 of a gallon per tap. I'd of been darn close to a gallon of syrup per tap I believe if I would have had them tapped early. also was pretty happy with the quality, have a nice mix of all grades this season

The sugar last night was down to 1.2% which is the lowest that I have ever closed with. Alot of hours just to get another 35 gallons of commercial, oh well. I will boil the flue pan out tomorrow, pull the membrane and then start flushing lines this week.
    Mark

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 10 bulk tanks.

I'm pulling and flushing today is the plan. Hated to do it, but 150 gallons left on the ground...
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 04-10-2017 at 08:47 AM.
    2017- 80 taps on 3/16 natural experimenting with Sap Sucking options
    The original Homemade XLE 4040 RO http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...RO-suggestions on a dolly
    7" short stack filter press w/air diaphragm pump

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213