+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Northern Wisconsin. 2017

Started tapping yesterday all 3/16 tubing to much snow have to have snowshoes, sap ran a little but will finish with tapping 400 before I put my shurflo pumps out. Looks like end of this week it could run but still cold forecast, hope to be done tapping by then

After having by buckets out for two weeks, I was disappointed to find little to no sap ran. A couple buckets had maybe a gallon, but many were bone dry. I really expected it to run over the weekend which it surprisingly did not. Has anyone else had similar results?

I'm in northeastern Wisconsin and all I have had running is box elder. The ground is still frozen and even the silver maples are doing nothing unless they are in direct sun. Later this week looks good.

Drove 5 test taps in my typically early risers on the 12th all were bone dry trudged through 2 feet of snow to get to them. Still nothing even though some in my area reported sap flow earlier in the month! Like some here are saying "thought we would see something these few warm days" Still dry. One thing I did notice was when I drilled it felt different.............harder? like drilling through hickory, maybe the wood is still frozen? Jay
    Zucker Lager

Default Trees still frozen

We are having similar experience. We put in about 40 taps two weeks ago, and gave a grand total of about 6 gallons. There is still about 20" of snow in the woods by us, and I suspect that the ground is just too frozen to allow much moisture flow back into the tree after initial tapping. As an earlier post noted, the roots probably extend down below frost line, but the moisture still needs to pass through the frozen zone in order to make it into the trunk (and our buckets). So I'm thinking that the surface soil needs to thaw enough to allow some moisture into the roots -- maybe at least a few inches? But I'm practically a rookie, so this is just a theory. Come on Mr. Sun!

We have 60 trees tapped. Tapped all on March 3rd. Eight of the 60 in more sunny spots had 1.5 to 2.5 gallons in the pail. Some of the rest had about an inch in the bottom. Going to boil this weekend. All was mostly frozen in the pails. Will be melting ice first. As far as the ground being frozen i don't think there is as much frost as you think under the snow. The snow is an insulator.

Sayner / Star Lake area.

Tigerton / Wittenberg area. Its not running any better down here. I got less than 20 gallons out of 80 taps this past Friday and Saturday. A local excavator told me he was digging for a basement and there was over 5 feet of frost (very little snow here) in the ground yet. The National weather Service is showing anywhere from 2'- 4' of frost in the center of the state in nonsnow covered areas.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

Looking for recent activity in vilas county. We put in about 50 taps 3 weeks ago in Manitowish Waters area. Last weekend they were barely flowing. I don't live there, come up on weekends to cook. Is it flowing enough that I'll be able to cook this weekend? Hope so.

weather still sucks, to cold made a small batch Monday from 500 taps just to make sure my ro was ready for the season had like 325 gals of sap and made approx 8 gals of really good syrup. Looks like maybe this weekend and then next week it might run, but this depends on what the lake superior has to say about that as I,m only 5 miles from it

I'm back in southern WI after a week of collecting less than a gallon a day from the 11 trees I tapped on my land east of Phillips. Sunny days and daytime temps in the 30s and 40s didn't much change the 20 or so inches of snow on the ground, other than making the crust harder. I should have waited to start but I can't stay past the point where my access road becomes a quagmire. (A logging job this winter kept the road open in spite of the snow.) I'm betting the next week will be good though I won't be there. At least I enjoyed the 50 common redpolls at my bird feeder, the stars and sound of wolves at night.

A few more taps (and close attention to the posts here) will be in order next year, and likely a start later in the season. The question is whether I'll figure this out before I get too old to handle all the manual effort required!
    Last edited by BackofBeyondJim; 03-23-2018 at 09:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast