+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making Candy with Heavily Nitered Syrup?

Default Making Candy with Heavily Nitered Syrup?

I have this idea meant to make the most of all that I produce, but I don't know if it's a good idea or not:

Instead of filtering the niter out, I've just let it settle to the bottom of jars, so far. I'll pour the clear syrup off the top, back into a pan to heat up to canning temps.

The more heavily nitered syrup left behind... could I just make candy out of that? Won't the niter dissolve back into the syrup again when I heat it up to candy temps and whip it?

Thoughts?
    2016 (first year, late start):
    5 taps
    1 pan block arch
    74 oz. finished syrup

2017:
    33 taps
    6 pan block arch

Manatawny Maple Works on Facebook

When you cook the syrup for making candy the niter will likely burn and give an off flavor to the candy. You may not care about that as it may not be all that pronounced. Depends who the final consumer is....
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Yeah not a good idea. Niter is the "minerals" left over from evaporation so no it will not dissolve when you heat it back up. Just try making candy with some of your filtered syrup.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Manatawny View Post
    The more heavily nitered syrup left behind... could I just make candy out of that?
    This is not a good idea, particularly if you're using any lead-containing equipment (buckets, tanks, evaporator pans). Lead is fairly concentrated in niter.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I've been saving my heavily-nitered syrup to include in the ferment next time I make mead. My thought is it will provide flavor and sugar for the yeast, with the niter harmlessly settling to the bottom. Does anyone see a problem with this idea?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Nagle View Post
    I've been saving my heavily-nitered syrup to include in the ferment next time I make mead. My thought is it will provide flavor and sugar for the yeast, with the niter harmlessly settling to the bottom. Does anyone see a problem with this idea?
    IF your sap collection and processing equipment contains lead, the niter could have a substantial amount of lead in it. When you ferment the syrup with niter, lead could be remobilized into the mead.....meaning that it won't be just the alcohol impairing your brain cells, but the lead as well. You'd be better served by filtering the syrup to the best extent possible prior to using it in any way that involves a food or beverage product. If you don't use any lead-containing equipment, then the niter might add a bitter off flavor to your brew.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Thanks, Dr. Tim. I never even thought about lead being an issue. I do use some old collection buckets and spiles...gonna have to switch to plastic now that I know about the lead leaching.

+ Reply to Thread