+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Hanson

Default Tapped in Hanson

25 taps on buckets, all reds. I put them in back on 1/22 and got about 4.5 gallons in the first week and then everything dried up. It looks like they have started running a bit in the last day or so, but its certainly not very much. Last year was my first attempt and this year seems to be going in a similar fashion - get a few gallons one week, get nothing for a another week. I'm wondering if it's weather related (seems like the weather has been fine) or just temperamental swamp maples. I seem to be one of the few guys on here chiming in from the southeast part of the state, so I'll update this in case there are any other of us lurking around.

Just out of curiousity, did you get a mid week run on your reds? I'm only about 20 miles from you so we share weather. My bucket trees I'm only getting about half gallon per tap per day on about 50% of the trees that run. The rest are dry do far.... snow seems to stopped things for now....

I did. So I'm tapping 13 trees right now, and I would say I had about 6 or 7 actually producing anything up until Thursday (flow was very slow the week prior). Since then, I have had a couple more start running and I definitely noticed an uptick in flow from the ones that were already running. It was surprising to me that even in the cold, stormy weather of the last couple days, things are actually still moving a modest pace.

My swamp maples are really running down here now, I would say I got about 5 or 6 gallons in the last couple days. Spent most of the day yesterday boiling and ended up with a nice little jar of syrup. Looks like things are going to shut down for a while with this warm weather coming up.

my first year tapping in Pembroke I have 5 taps so far, got 3.5 gallons last week and just yesterday and this morning got another 3.5 gallons boiling it down today I'll put out some more taps this week and see what happens.

If this is your first boil, good luck! I've boiled three times total (this is my second year after a short attempt last year) and it's a learning experience every time.

well we did first boil and I must say its very sweet, probably could have boiled longer but didn't trust my thermometer, going to pick up a new one for future use, sap was still flowing pretty good today so I'll do another boil next weekend.

Some of my reds are already starting to bud. Are you other local guys seeing the same thing?

no not yet still the same

About 20% of my reds have started, however I must add today and yesterday was my best run of the season, 65 degrees out go figure....1 gallon per bucket easily...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast