+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally, sort of

Default Finally, sort of

I will finally be collecting some sap today. After a long freeze, I finally got warmer temperatures yesterday. The pumps ran all night.
    Back in late January I got 100 gal of sap (I need at least 250 to sweeten the pans, the 100 gal is now my refrigeration, it is in one tank, frozen solid).
    Yesterday the sap started flowing late afternoon and then the temperatures rose to the high 40's, now it is falling again, but will not get too cold until 7-9PM today. That will allow me to finally fire up the arch.
    However, I still have about 300 more taps to get in, this will be the latest to finish tapping in 6 seasons, I've been finished by 1/20 or 1/21 the last 6 years. I have had far more damage to fix or replace than ever before. Trees and limbs down everywhere, but fortunately no big uprooted trees. So far I have about 450 taps in and will end up with 775-800 ball park.
    It will feel good to be making syrup again.
    The areas I've tapped all got new drops and loads of new lateral, the taps to go will only get new drops if they look bad, they were new last year. I'll still have lots of lateral repairs too.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-08-2017 at 06:08 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread