+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Nova Scotia 2017

Should be all tapped today. Let the sap flow and the fun begin.. good luck all.

Hello from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. My first post!

Started tapping last weekend as the trees were just waking up. 20 trees with as many old fashioned buckets....all red maple. Going for 30 more new ones this year starting tomorrow. Using 5/16 spiles with tubing and ice cream buckets this time, so will see how that works. The wind off the water keeps flipping my lids up and causing the older buckets to sway, so hopefully the tube method eliminates some of the those issues and I can bury the buckets in the snow pack to keep the sap cooler.

Tapping 20 trees since 2013 almost every year with cinder blocks, three steam pans and a stainless stack. Usually get only 3 to 4 liters of finished product, so hopefully the 30 additional trees ramps it up a bit.

Anybody tapping in Lunenburg? Looks like a gorgeous day this Thursday @ +8C.
    Last edited by Syrup By The Sea; 03-13-2019 at 10:54 PM.

no boiling yet. at this rate its going to be a very short season.

not boiling yet but should be.missed past few days of good runs while tapping an still have some more holes too drill yet.seems the older i get the slower i move lol.
    500 taps tubing.100 buckets.2x8 DG arch homemade ss flat pans.10x16 sap camp.DGfilter press,.2014 new D&G pans.2x5 7 " drop flu and 2 2x18" syrup pans .tap count should be + - 800 .

...tapped 25 more trees today with the tube and bucket system. Wow, some of the trees were wide awake and dripping like crazy with the warm sun. Hope to see some good results in the next few days. Only collected ~15L of sap from 4 of the 20 buckets though. Hope the rest wake up soon...

The next 2 days look promising

Set out 12 taps last Sunday and by Thursday I had 20 liters of sap. Hoping to boil by this Sunday. Hoping for a great season!!!
    My Operation may not be big, but it's small.

boiled for the first time on Saturday. 160L of sap - 4L of syrup.

Boiled 200 gallons of sap on Saturday. Hopefully lots more to come. Any chance anyone close to central nova Scotia running a guzzler pump that I can pick your brain for a few questions. Thanks in advance.

pulled my taps on Saturday the 13th. finished with 32 liters of syrup!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345