+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nova Scotia 2017

yes, these last 4 noreasters have been a real pain. I have 2.5 feet of snow at my camp now.

I had a really good run on Saturday even though the temperature hovered around 1 degree all day. Should be good today and tomorrow, fingers crossed.
    2'x4' Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan
    Copper parallel flow preheater & hood
    17'x12' Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Two chocolate labs to help collect sap
    Brookfield, Nova Scotia

The sap has been running pretty good here for about a week. Starting to get a little cloudy now and buds coming on the trees. Tap pulling time I expect. Of well another fun year and lots of syrup made.
    My Operation may not be big, but it's small.

I pulled my taps on Saturday the 14th. It was a very strange year. much like last year.

How's she goin'? I had some pretty good runs this year although later than I thought. I pulled my taps yesterday and had a lot of sap hanging on the trees. Since the trees are budding I poured out the sap, said a prayer of thanks to the trees and left the sugar bush until next fall. A good year for me. Made more syrup than I have even made in 17 years.
    My Operation may not be big, but it's small.

I packed it in on April 2nd. Had so much sap I was tapped out and the wood was getting low. The trees kept producing well for another 10 days but I determined not to let them draw me back in. Pulled the taps last weekend. Very long, up and down season. But it ended up being my best year since I began 8 years ago.
    2'x4' Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan
    Copper parallel flow preheater & hood
    17'x12' Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Two chocolate labs to help collect sap
    Brookfield, Nova Scotia

I called it a year on April 4th, I burnt all the wood I had at the Sugarshack and most of what I had at home for my garage. Great year, 30% more syrup than last year. Did anyone else find the Niter really bad late in the season?

Don't think the niter has been any worse for me but sure was a lot of sugar sand in the filter today way more than usual not sure if its because its so late in the season or what?

All tapped this week, ran a little the other day. Going to be warm Sat an the next weeks.
    D&G 24x96 with 12 inch cook plate Drop Flue Evaporator, Home made Preheater & Hood. Home made Butter Machine. D&G 7" Short Filter Press. http://www.facebook.com/HillbillyMapleSyrup/ 300 Taps on Vacuum , 2016.

I tapped in last week, hoping for a run this coming week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast