+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using Daily Sugaring Notes

Default Using Daily Sugaring Notes

Hello,

I am new to the site and have been making syrup for a few years in NW Wisconsin. I am wondering if there is a good format in place anywhere that can assist me in taking better notes on a daily basis while I am in the sugaring woods. I have a little notebook that I use currently but it is very haphazard in format.

Do any of you have any tips on the best way to record daily records of sap flow, sugar content of sap, boil rate, etc, etc? Is there something already created that I can print off and use, or possibly an app somewhere that I can use??

Thanks,

Jeff
    Blue Hills Sugar Bush
    Bruce, WI

I setup a spread sheet for tracking. I setup rows for date, collection amount for areas and notes for the day. Also a section for syrup production. I have access to it on my phone for quick entry.
    It has been nice to look back at previous years to compare.
    2013 25 taps 2.5 gallons
    2014 60 taps 9.5 gallons
    2015 12 x 16 sugar shack 200 taps 1500' 5/16 lines gravity. Home made arch, 2 x 3 pan and 18" x 24" steam pan.
    2016 2 x 5 Smokey Lake hybrid pan. Custom steam hood and float box. Number of taps yet to be determined.
    2017 Made 27 gallons. Added 60 taps on 3/16 lines.
    2018 Adding more 3/16 lines. Made 55 gallons
    2019 Added 4 totes for sap storage. Big shack upgrades.

I cannot offer any assistance, although taking notes is something I should probably do. I did so several years ago....but it always seemed that once the sap started flowing well I'd be in over my head again and the note-taking would end. now that I think of it, if I had taken those notes, maybe I'd be able to solve the 'in over my head again' problems easier.

We started writing on the wall of the first maple chalet (plywood shack, built in an hour) in 2014. We reused the same plywood in version 2.0. That piece of plywood is now hanging on the ceiling of our real honest to goodness sugar house. These notes included dates, time, length of boil, production, sap amounts, who was there etc... We still refer to the "writing on the wall" quite often. We now keep a journal that is filled out with much the same information plus weather and improvement notes.
    ~50 taps 3/16 tubing
    50 +/- buckets and sap sacks
    15ish on 5/16 tubing
    2x4 Mason Hobby XL with homemade stainless hood and pipe
    10x8 sap shack w/ 8x8 addition for hangarounds, 35 gallon feeder tank
    Lots of BEER Storage!

Still waiting for sap... ALWAYS!!!

Maple expert solutions MES is an app for your phone works great

I just use google sheets. It's available online, and on the phone.

I put an entry for each day I do something... L sap collected, (calculated running total), brix, hours boiling, L syrup produced, and then any notes for the day on the same line (dumped sap, etc).
    Then the years are organized into tabs.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

Coming from a finance background, I spent my days creating and using numerous spreadsheets for a multitude of purposes. So, setting one up for maple production was a given. It's by no means complicated, and tracks sap collection by location, number of taps, average sap per tap, Sap sugar content, expected syrup output, low and high temp, weather, gals boiled, hours boiled, gph boiled, misc notes and bottling stats. It has a section for sales, but I don't seem to put any of that info in there. I have a basic version on my phone for when I'm collecting.

I seem to think of new things to add every season. I have a sheet for every year going back to 2014, which was my first serious attempt at this. I'd put a screen shot in here, but the text would be too tiny. Anyway, there are many ways to accomplish the same thing. Spreadsheets are free form, so your imagination is the limit. You can just write it down in a notebook (or on the wall). I do track my production by the bottling batch, and label the bottles with the batch number, just in case there is a problem with a bottle. I can then check out others from that batch if need be.

I'm glad I started the record. I look back to prior years all the time.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

+ Reply to Thread