+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: boiling temp app

Default boiling temp app

Hey everyone. Getting ready for the season in Northern Michigan. I'm too lazy to boil water to calibrate my thermometer and do basic math......so I made a web app that calculates it for me based on Weather Underground data and the location services of my iPhone. It should work on any mobile phone. Check it out and use it if you want...

https://www.saptapapps.com/

Tip: Once the app opens in your browser you can use "Add to Home screen", it has a nice icon.

Tapatalk users...please note clicking the link to my app doesn't work from within Tapatalk. They display external links within their app and this doesn't allow the location services to work. iPhone/Safari users can click the Safari compass icon in the lower right corner of the tapatalk window to launch it properly. Android/Chrome users can click the menu in the upper right (looks like three dots) and choose the option for "Open with" and that should properly launch it in the browser.
    Last edited by thbarrons; 02-05-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Wow. That was instantaneous!

Had a little trouble at first. Clicked on the link through the Tapatalk app and it didn't work. Opened it up in a browser and it worked. That's pretty cool! Thanks.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Thanks for the feedback just checked it in tapatalk myself and see what you mean I'm going to look into that and see if there's a fix.

thanks it works great i was gonna print a chart off and hang it in the shack with the boil rates at various pressure rates not longer needed

Are you accounting for current elivation above sea level or just barometric pressure adjusted to sea level?
    Last edited by mellondome; 02-05-2017 at 09:51 PM.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Good question mellondome. I'm not doing anything with elevation and that should not technically be necessary. The only reason water has a different boiling point at higher elevations is a function of the atmospheric pressure at higher altitudes. So it's possible to use an altitude corrected calculation. Here's what I'm doing...

I'm using the pressure readings from Weather Underground which are calibrated using MSLP (mean sea level pressure).
    https://www.wunderground.com/blog/PW...l-improvements

And I'm basically using the calculation of Table 2 found on this page and several others on the web.
    http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Calib-boil.html which is:
    Boiling point = 49.161 * Ln (in. Hg) + 44.932

The one thing I would recommend in regards to elevation is that you know the location of your closest weather station the app used for its calculation. I report that right under the temperature readings. If your boiling at a drastically different elevation than where the reading came from you might want to make an adjustment. That's actually something I might try and add to my calculation here soon. As mobile devices get better at reporting their elevation, I could techically correct it against the difference in elevation to the weather station.

Good stuff. Thanks! Nice work.

Very nice, thanks.

That's really cool, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast