+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2017

I got the afternoon off from work. After pumping my woods tank I set out chasing leaks. I'm sure there's still some small leaks to find but I'm at 26" now which is what I have my regulator set at. I finished flushing the lines and started saving sap at 3:30 yesterday afternoon. I now have 460 gallons for tomorrow's first boil of the season.

IMG_20170220_163339397.jpg
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Good news Russ!
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

I just knocked on some wood here, literally. I stepped on a piece of wood on the floor of the sugar house while trying to open the cupola doors and landed flat on my back. If that's the only thing that goes bad this year that will be great. I'm okay this morning other than a scar on my knee from hitting the evaporator, the back is doing fine.

Everything is going smooth here. The best surprise is that the membrane in my RO is flowing good. It was practically clogged solid at the end of last season. I washed and rinsed it 5 times before the final rinse for storage last spring. It sat in the RO soaking in permeate for the rest of the off season and I think that probably made the biggest improvement. I bought a new membrane and was hoping to make enough permeate to flush it if the old membrane wouldn't flow.

My first boil went well last night. I got the pans sweetened and made 3 gallons of great tasting golden syrup. It's looking like it will be a good sap day here today.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

awe-some sounds pretty good except for the fall. but sometimes when that happens... no one saw! didn;t happen!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Came home from work today expecting to find the tank full or close to it. Instead what I found was no vacuum in the releaser and the first moisture trap was full of sap. I checked the float rod and vacuum lines on the releaser and all looked good. The only thing that I can think of was that the releaser wasn't sitting quite level. I leveled it up and watched it fill and dump and it worked like it was supposed to. I hope that was the problem. I'll know when I go down to pump the tank in the morning. It wasn't a total loss for the day because I did get 325 gallons before the malfunction. The sap was running pretty good when I came back up to the house at 6:00.
    Russ

That's frustrating Russ. At least it sounds like you didn't loose the whole days run.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I went down this morning to pump the tank if it needed it and there was only 50 gallons in it and the releaser was 3/4 full and froze up. It looks like it got cold sooner than it was supposed to and the releaser didn't malfunction again before the sap stopped running. That all adds up to a better sap day today than it originally would have been if we didn't get the freeze.
    Russ

well it wasn;t supposed to freeze here but we got it fairly early last night everything was frozen at about 10:00.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Glad to hear you made it through the digger with nothing more than hurt pride!

I always struggled with those mechanical releasers. I found they took a lot of work to make them work well consistently. Aside from my float issue, I've been extremely happy with the electric releaser...downside is you need electricity.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

Quote Originally Posted by red maples View Post
    well it wasn;t supposed to freeze here but we got it fairly early last night everything was frozen at about 10:00.
    It only froze down in the woods here. It never got below 35* up at the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    Glad to hear you made it through the digger with nothing more than hurt pride!

I always struggled with those mechanical releasers. I found they took a lot of work to make them work well consistently. Aside from my float issue, I've been extremely happy with the electric releaser...downside is you need electricity.
    I was glad that I didn't hurt my back when I went down. I hurt it last summer and was pretty much out of commission until October.

I leveled the releaser front to back and side to side and it is working good now.

I made 12 gallons of golden last night to put me at 15 gallons of golden for the season so far. I will be boiling again tomorrow night or Sunday. I've got about 450 gallons of sap and more coming in. The weather looks good for next week.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast