+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Roof Maples 2017

Default Red Roof Maples 2017

It was hard but I resisted the urge to tap in January. I have been working in the woods and in the sugar house getting things ready to go. The plan is to start tapping tomorrow and finish next weekend.

I had some trees get blown down in July and one of them went down across 4 mainlines. It took a little work to get that mess straightened out but it's all fixed and ready for sap now. Last summer I had some problems with my back that had me wondering if I was even going to be able to tap this year. I wasn't able to get my wood cut this summer like I usually do but did manage to get enough into the woodshed to hopefully last the whole season.

This year I had to shingle the roof on my house and buy a new truck. I did the roof the last week of October. The first day started out with drizzle which turned to rain just as I was putting the last row of felt over the ridge and then it was 3 days of temps in the 30's with wind gusts up to 30 mph. It was even spitting snow a couple of times. It made a sucky job to start with suck even more. The lease was up on my truck this year and I had to replace that too. I am now the proud owner of a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4. I bought this one as part of my retirement plan. I retire in 6 1/2 years and the truck will be paid for just before I do.

Now it's time to make some syrup and save up for a bigger RO.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I have officially started tapping. I got 200 in this morning before I had to go to my grandson's birthday party. If all goes well I should get the 500 remaining taps in next weekend. I only have a couple of minor things to finish up and will be ready to make syrup when the sap is ready to run.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Hey Russ, Glad you're feeling better and getting tapped in. My plan is to start, and hopefully finish, this weekend. Use the following weekend to get the vac. turned on and bugs worked out. Good luck this season!
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

Things are still pretty tight over here on Bumfagon Road. We put one bucket up to monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    Hey Russ, Glad you're feeling better and getting tapped in. My plan is to start, and hopefully finish, this weekend. Use the following weekend to get the vac. turned on and bugs worked out. Good luck this season!
    Hey Josh, Unfortunately the weather doesn't look good for the weekend. I hope it is wrong because I want to finish tapping and then get my vacuum fine tuned the following weekend. No need to panic yet though, it's still early.

Quote Originally Posted by Djdj View Post
    Things are still pretty tight over here on Bumfagon Road. We put one bucket up to monitor.
    Things are still tight here on Pleasant St Ext too. I'm just trying to get the vacuum taps in before I have to do it on snow shoes. The buckets won't go out until the 1st of March or so.
    Russ

Hey Russ glad to hear your back is doing better. Goodluck with the season.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I didn't get much done last weekend because of the weather. I have to work Saturday morning but plan to hit the woods in the afternoon and then again all day Sunday. It looks like I will be tapping on snow shoes which isn't much fun. Hopefully all will go well and I get the rest of the taps in this weekend. I'm glad that I got the ones that are the hardest to get to done before it snowed. Everything is pretty much ready to go in the sugar house.
    Russ

We hit the woods hard yesterday afternoon and got about 250 more done before we ran out of daylight. If I hadn't had to work until 1:00 at my regular job I could have gotten them all done. We're heading out this morning with plans to get the rest of taps in this morning and go on leak patrol this afternoon.

My wife was here when someone showed up looking for a gallon of last seasons Golden syrup. I happened to have one on the shelf and was able to make the sale.

It looks like the sap weather is here and I should be boiling by mid week.
    Russ

Good luck and have a good week. I'm heading out shortly to collect and I'll be boiling this afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Got the rest of the taps in today. Turned the vacuum on and only had 12". Only had about 1 1/2 hours to check for leaks but found and fixed enough of them to get the vacuum to 22". The sap is coming in pretty good and the pump is on. Looks like maybe I'll be doing the first boil Tuesday night.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast