+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not Good!!!

jason loper Guest

Unhappy Not Good!!!

I burnt my pan last night on my 3x10 Small Bros evap and the pan is in verybad shape and won't make light syrup again i'm sure. we are working on it right now still trying to get it clean so it can be fixed. I bought this evap for this season and the size seems to fit us well and I would like to have a new syrup pan made any contacts or suggestions. I almost forgot I'm sitting on 800 gallons of sap and its still running here it doesnt get much worse than this.

Thanks
    Jason
    Last edited by jason loper; 03-22-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Jason hopefully you can get it flat enough and somewhat cleaner and get some boiling in... Good luck to you... !
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

I feel for you brother, I did the same thing last year. I was lucky though, Bascom's had one in stock. If it isn't leaking I would say use it until you can get a new one like mapleman said.
    Scott W.
    2.5x8 Grimm raised flue
    Leader inferno arch 90 gph
    Vacuum, RO, Syrofilter
    1500 taps
    UV filter
    Can am 400 HO

Jason
    What did you do go to lunch or fall asleep. Sorry to here about your pan. Hope you get is sraightened out so you can boil. Its not the end of the world if you don't make light syrup. Most people want dark anyways. Good luck!

we had one bead blasted a few years ago. it did a beautiful job. you might have that done to clean it up.

Hi Jason,
    That really stinks, sucks actually!
    Like Dave said "Making light syrup isn't the only thing in the world", but I'm sure you have pride in that, I would.
    Hey, make some medium and dark, if it tastes good, it's ok!
    Work it out and keep going, have a couple of beers and move on.
    Good luck!

Dave
    2x5 SS home design on a home design arch w/ forced draft
    SS Evaporation Enhancement Unit
    Home design filter / canner
    Daryl Sheets filter press
    300 taps (280 on line, 20 buckets)
    120 gph Home Design RO
    2017 Chevy Silverado w/ 275 gallon tank
    8x16 sugarhouse w/ attached woodshed
    A wife, family and friends that love to help!!

HanginAround Guest

Sorry for your luck Jason, must have really bummed you out, I know it bothers me just hearing about it.

Like the others said, do what you can and move on, it'll probably come good enough to use.
    Last edited by HanginAround; 03-24-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Been there, Done that.

All I can offer for comfort is the fact that most things can be fixed, and having a gushing sap run is good inspiration.

Wire brush it, bead blast it, etc. - get it clean, pound out as many warps as you can and get out the solder. With perseverence, it can be fixed!
    Tons of trees. No taps, No evaporator
    No wife, No Kids. Nothing left but Dreams

Just keep plugging away that all any of us can do.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

jason loper Guest

thanks for the support i'm going crazy trying to store all the sap until the pan gets fixed today. The guy had us sand blast the pan to get it clean and ready to solder. he said it will be fixed for tonight and i have about 1200 gallons as of this morning and it looks like it will run good all day. we will boil all night and day to get caught up and I look forward to every minute of it after this mess. Dave as far as falling asleep no I went to get sap which takes me about 10-15 min and when i pulled back in they where throwing snow in the fire box. My brother-in-law was running the pan and it foamed up and he tryed getting more sap in the front pan instead of defoaming and it was all down hill from there. does anyone have a defoaming setup so that if the pan foams over a certain height it will hit the defoamer?

Jason

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast