+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delaval pump help

Default Delaval pump help

I have a Delaval vacuum pump that was given to me. I'm in the process of getting it ready to use. My problem is the ID plate is gone so I don't know which model it is. The case has a 10" inside diameter and it is 8" long without the end plates. Can anyone out there help me identify which model it is?
    Thanks
    Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pictures??? It would either be a 76 or a 78 this picture shows a 76 that we have. Pump.jpg
    Last edited by jetdoc; 01-23-2017 at 04:21 PM.

2nd on the pictures. Could be 76, 77, or 78 pump. Are the vanes free and is the inside of it smooth and not scored?
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I'll take some pics but it looks similar to the one in your photo except the oil lines to the bearings are cast into the end plate also it's disassembled. The inside of the case was wavy and a little rusty. I bored it out about .010 to clean it up. One of the vanes was stuck but they don't look bad which raises another question. Can I flip the vanes over to get a fresh edge once I get done honing the case?

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Jetdoc I had that very pump and it was great right up the point that one of the plastic oil lines on the bronze bearing side got hot and melted and granaded the bearing, shaft and then drum. I was in the woods working and wondered what the increasing whining noise was. Didnt have the hard pipe off the pump.

Haynes, we had that problem also. We went to the hardware and put one stand off pipe on both sides of the pump so the tubing would not touch it any more. Works great now.

Here are some photos of my pump still in pieces. Once it's honed to an acceptable finish I'll put back together. If I can figure out the model and other details make a decision on how to power it either by gas or electric. But I don't know what I need for hp or rpm.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

When you do put it back together take a good flat bastard to the side plates and barrel ends.Just a nice light trip around to identify any dings and high spots.

Make sure the end plates are smooth if not have them machined flat. Clean the drum up and make sure the vanes slide in and out freely. Unless it is really good, replace the seal because it will leak vacuum causing the pump to not suck enough oil in.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

It looks like it may be a 78. Here is helpful info for electric motor size, cfm, pulley size. What size is your intake and exhaust? I would definitely put a triple oil dripper system on it to help keep it cool. Also a oil reclaimer is a must. Hope this helps you out.

DLV78 Vacuum specs ( 5HP)
    - 60 CFM
    - 800 RPM
    - 9.0 inch pump pulley
    - 4.1 inch Motor pulley
    - 5 hp motor

DLV78 Vacuum pump specs (7.5 HP)

- 80 CFM
    - 1090 RPM
    - 9.0 inch pump pulley
    - 5.6 inch Motor pulley
    - 7.5 hp motor