+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Season

I'm done. Pulled the taps this afternoon. Trees did not run hardly at all and what was in some of the buckets was nasty. Ended up throwing most of it out. Out of 31 buckets I kept 3 1/2 gallon that was still ok. Tomorrow I'll do the final boil. The forecast just did not look good the rest of the week and based on the previous couple of months I really don't see the weather pattern changing much. Hope everyone else's season continues good for them but fly fishing is looking great for me right now. Good luck to everyone.
    2011 - 6 buckets
    Stove Top
    2012 - 15 buckets
    2013 - 19 buckets
    Camper cook stove with 3 high propane burners
    Custom made 42x14x7 maple pan with dividers
    2015 - New 12x16 Sugar Shack
    2015 - New Lapierre Propane Evaporator
    2016 - 28 buckets
    2017 - 30 buckets
    2019 - 32 buckets
    2023 - 32 buckets - Good to be back

Default To wait or not to wait, that is the question...

The weather.com and accuweather.com forecasts call for lows below freezing on Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights and warm weather between now and then.

I'm going to wait.
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-21-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Me, just small scale, but tapped 19 on Saturday. Good flow for the first two days pulling 40 gallons. Some good days and bad between now and next week... time will tell!

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    The weather.com and accuweather.com forecasts call for lows below freezing on Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights and warm weather between now and then.

I'm going to wait.
    I figure it doesn't hurt to wait either. But if I get nothing after the freeze then I'm done for the year.

We just topped the 100 gallon mark last night. Syrup is a little darker but still in the Amber Rich range. May not be much sap today as the weather is pretty warm. Will gather and boil this afternoon.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I pulled most of my taps. Only 20 or so taps that are close to the house are still in. Boiled 60 gallons down to 6 gallons concentrate last night...finishing it up tonight. I'll probably pull the remaining taps this evening. There is a chance this weekend for more but with 20ish taps remaining its hardly worth it. I think I'll wrap things up and break out the mountain bike or "insert any other outdoor activity". SPRING IS HERE!

I should finish the season with 6 gallons of syrup. I was hoping to hit 10 gallons but with the weird weather...I'll take it. So 10 is next years goal. This was my 2nd season...last year I did 3 gallons.

I plan to expand my two 2x3 flat pans with maybe a tall 1x3 preheating pan....and also a 1x3 pan to take my concentrate to finish or close to finish over the fire and limit inside stove time. I hope to make a better arch...taking it from a cement block arch to something better but not over elaborate. I work at a metal fab shop and could build a real steel arch but I'm thinking about building a steel box that fits inside a nicer looking block arch. Something that can be converted to a cooking fire pit in the summer.

Its been fun

I'll collect sap after work today and then pull my taps. Looking at the 10 day forecast, I'm done after today's harvest. I'll probably get to my final boil tomorrow.
    2016 (first year, late start):
    5 taps
    1 pan block arch
    74 oz. finished syrup

2017:
    33 taps
    6 pan block arch

Manatawny Maple Works on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by helptheold View Post
    I figure it doesn't hurt to wait either. But if I get nothing after the freeze then I'm done for the year.
    Pre-RO, I wouldn't wait. The last run is usually about 1% sugar, and it makes Grade C syrup. Without my RO, it wouldn't be worth boiling. But with my RO, I'll be able to convert it to 4% before I start boiling.

Collected around 1,200 gallons yesterday. Was expecting more but the weather is looking good for maple making!
    Jared

2016- 1000 taps all with 3/16" line gravity
    2017- 1200 taps all with 3/16" line gravity

3'x10' air-tight evaporator with 3x6 steam away, and blower

2011 Polaris Ranger 800 XP EPS
    2016 Kubota MX5800
    Dual Axle 10K sap wagon with 550 Gallon Poly Tote to collect with

Chris,

Any idea what we can expect after this? Unfortunately I am tempted to begin the shut down and clean up process for the season. Maybe I am overly pessimistic, but my retail packaging is all filled and we are on to barrels after I finish my own bulk 5 gal containers tonight. If it's not worth waiting I will leave my barrels empty and move on with life. Just curious what you are thinking????

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast