+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Season

HowardR, there really is nothing to loose leaving them in a few days to see what comes.

Now you may start to find that you will keep second guessing yourself when to call it quits. "Maybe I'll wait just a few more days"

Just messing with you. If you still have the energy and the taps are still in go for it you have nothing to loose. Good luck.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post

So, I'm going to collect the sap on Sunday. If it seems good, I'll boil it up. If it doesn't, I'll pitch it out.

If you collect sap on Sunday, please post here what you find when you smell, taste, examine and/or boil it up.
    I'll let you know, gonna put stuff back out tomorrow afternoon. After a high this afternoon, the temps are slowly going down and then it looks back to somewhat normal Feb/March weather.

I agree with DennisH that as soon as this starts to feel like work, I'm done for the year. But it hasn't been long enough to make me feel like that. We'll see what the next few days bring.

Just an update, Sugar maples in shaded areas have been running the last two days despite low of 45, high of 75 today. Silver and Reds I tap had stopped days ago. Sugar content is 2.3% on the Sugars. Taps are staying in and I am looking at restarting next week. Have a good weekend!
    Ross
    2009 8 taps one cup syrup gas stove boiling

Have about 100 taps out on jugs and buckets, noticed the one by the house was dripping a little it has a couple inches sap in it. Then I checked some back in the woods and they also had some in,it is 73 degrees here today and had a low of 50 last night. WEIRD!!!!

I tapped way too late but fortunately I am on 3/16 and I get about 1/2 a gallon per tap each day I see an atmospheric pressure drop. It may freeze tonight and next Friday so I'm hoping things don't turn buddy before then. I have a bloomed daffodil in the garden. Weird season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~ John

50 Reds, Silvers, Norways and Sugar Maple taps. 4' diameter round Amish made SS wood fired evaporator.

Ok Peeper Beaters,
    I worked on value added maple all day yesterday and then decided it was time to go gather the sap that magically appeared out there in 70+ degree weather! Finished the route by 8:30 and had 250 gallons of 1.5% sugar content sap. Started boiling his morning. Made almost 9 gallon of Dark Robust syrup. That brings us to 120 gallons for the season. I did hear the peepers loud and clear last night. But we will see if the weather does turn the sap back on over the weekend!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

We dumped everything from this past week, couldn't hold our sap from the 2 days above 70. Soft maples have budded, I think we will try it next week and see what happens. I have a couple of soft maples in my lines, will that hurt anything if I leave those taps in next week ? I'm glad we started early and hope it's not over already. No use worrying about the things you can't control.
    Last edited by D and D Sugar Camp; 02-25-2017 at 05:12 PM.
    Just a hobby.
    2012 Don't want to talk about it.
    2013 6 Buckets 2.75 gallons
    2014 20 on 5/16 ,10 Buckets 7.75 gallons
    2015 30 on 5/16 , 10 Buckets 9.5 gallons
    2016 43 on 3/16 , 0 Buckets , 623 gallons sap, 11.89 gls.
    2017 43 on 3/16 527 gallons boiled, 9 gals. Syrup
    2018 43 on 3/16 453 gallons sap 9 gallons syrup
    2019 30 on 3/16 9.5 gallons
    3 Burner propane

Put 6 buckets back out (while trying to not get blown over by the wind), fingers crossed. All of mine are sugar maples.

Saturday none of the trees were running. Went out today, some running some not. Only one that was running looked cloudy but it was hard to tell. Didn't gather enough for a test and with this weather I can't taste or smell anything in the field. Hopefully tomorrow there will be enough to gather for a test.

I'm done. I tapped on the 6th and first boil on the 7th. Last boil was the 21st. Collected 2461 gallons and made 26.5 gallons syrup. The last couple days the sap went to 1% and the syrup went to very dark. The trees here don't look that bad but I'm sure the sugars low and syrup dark. I also made all I needed. Evaporators already been acid cleaned and stacks down. Looking forward to turkey season.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast