+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How to use ALL of a cone filter

I was at Bill Mason's yesterday, could have asked him about making one. Next trip over I'll ask him.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

Quote Originally Posted by Atgreene View Post
    I was at Bill Mason's yesterday, could have asked him about making one. Next trip over I'll ask him.
    Or you can ask Pat to make one for you. I just got mine and I think it will work great. Very speedy too.
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

I came across this photo from our early experiments with the Optimizer concept. This pre-filter did its b from top to bottom. Most of the syrup was filtered by the main body and once it plugged up I lifted it out and the remaining syrup was filtered through the bottom of the cone. As you can see the system works quite well.DSCF6486.jpg

Got my basket from Pat and set it up. I think it is going to work great on my new Smokey Lake filter tank. Thanks Pat.IMG_1223.jpgIMG_1224.jpgIMG_1225.jpgIMG_1226.jpg
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    250 GPH Deer run RO

I ordered one of these for my volrath cream can that i use for a filter container. It fits perfectly, and arrived two days after I ordered it. The idea is so,onvious you know it will work. In my case it keeps the filter out of the fresh syrup. So thanks guys, for doing a good job for me.

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for all the interest and positive feedback. We definitely want to hear your thoughts on using the Optimizer.
    We are making them and shipping as fast as we can. Hope to get a little ahead so I can get my trees tapped.
    Just a note: I've had a little trouble navigating the PMs on MapleTrader (I'm an old dog and that's a new trick) so I'd like to suggest everyone email me directly at: pobryan@verizon.net
    Also if anyone has sent me a message and I missed it, I apologize and please shoot me an email.
    Good tapping
    Pat

Ooo, glad I got mine early. Have used it 2x now and really have to say it works great.

Thanks Pat.
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    250 GPH Deer run RO

Hi Pat! I sent you a personal e-mail but it bounced back. Perhaps if you e-mailed me first, we could connect. My name is Todd and my e-mail is Hershey5@ymail.com. I am interested in the Optimizer. Thanks!

I'm just giving this thread a bump because I've been using this optimizer that Pat built and it's the shizzle. I've used cone filters for eleven years and this design blows the old setup away. I can put way more syrup through my filters with this design than I could before. Now that I'm using an RO, I'm getting syrup off the evaporator at a much faster rate and this system is able to keep up. I got this just in time. If you are currently using cone filters and considering the jump to a press, this is a very affordable and effective step in between.

I will also add a benefit that hasn't been mentioned in this thread. When I used to rinse out my cone filter after a boil, I would have to do the usual crazy-hot water, turning it inside out thing we all do - getting soaked and scalded at a time you just want to go to bed. When the cone filter sits in this rack, it takes on the shape of the basket and stays in place. I can leave it in the rack, run crazy-hot water through one side, then just turn it over to run the water through the other side. It can stay in the rack all season. No turning it inside out, and getting soaked and scalded. I just put it over a bucket and it drip dries for the next boil.

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

How much. Me and one other might be interested. Looks pretty neat and definitely has to make life easier. Thanks Brian
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast