+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: How to use ALL of a cone filter

Default Optimizer filter rack

I used one of these for the first time this year and it is everything it's advertised to be. What a difference it makes!

Hope to use the optimizer this season
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

You are going to LOVE it! Ted

Hi everyone,
    We are happy to announce that Devon Lane Farm Supply, 357 DAniel Shays Highway, Belchertown, MA 01007 ph 413-323-6336 is now a stocking retailer of the Optimizer. They also carry a selection of other equipment for the Maple Sugar Maker. So if you live in the Central Massachusetts area you can get an Optimizer direct from them and save shipping costs.
    As always if you are not near one of our stocking dealers we are happy to ship directly to you including into Canada.
    You can contact me directly at pobryan@verizon.net
    Thanks
    Pat

Just want to reach out and let everyone know we are still around, and the Optimizer is making a positive impact on small producer filtering. We just added a website that has lots of info with videos, etc.
    Check it out at: www.conefilteroptimizer.com

Hope you all have a great holiday season.
    Pat

This will be my first year making maple syrup and filtering was one of the last hurdles, not being completely satisfied with cone filter options out there until I came across this. With as many online searches I have done for something like this, it never showed up in the search results, unfortunately. Thanks!!!

Cool! The economizer sounds like a cool way to use a cone filter. I will say I haven't felt the need, but it did give me a good idea. You can hand-shape the cone filter into the economizer shape for small quantities and it will more or less keep that shape. For large batches, like 1.5 gallons or more, you probably wouldn't be able to maintain that shape without the economizer, but also might not really need to.
    Just my two cents on it.
    It is a nifty little idea. Just wanted to mention the same thing, to some extent, can be done without it.
    Andy
    2024: 28 taps, 7 gallons. RB5 purchased but not opened :-(
    2023: 30 taps, 17 trees, 11 properties, Sugar Maple & Norway. 2x3 flat over propane & kitchen finish. ~11(!) gallons.
    2022: 9 taps, 5 trees, 4 properties. 3 hotel pans on 3 Coleman 2-burner stoves burning gasoline; kitchen finish. ~3 gallons.
    2021: 2 taps, 1 sugar maple. Propane grill then kitchen finish. ~Pint.
    All years: mainly 5/16" drops into free supermarket frosting buckets. Some plastic sap buckets hanging on 5/16 sap-meister.

I used the optimizer last season for the first time. It’s a significant improvement over just the cone filter.
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

Ditto on the Optimizer. There are some things in this industry you pay a lot for and get a little back. Or you pay a lot for and you make it obsolete with upgrades the next season.
    This is the opposite. For a little money you will dramatically DRAMATICALLY improve your filtering time and efficiency. I used two in tandem filtering right off the rig with about 300 taps and an RO. These little guys can keep up. Of course there can be tough moments, with some heavy niter or accidentally pulling off the rig too heavy (user error), but that happens with any gravity filter. If anything, the Optimizer saved my butt more often than not.

I have since upgraded to a small filter press, but spending short money on one then a second for a few seasons allowed me to save and invest in other parts of the operation until I was able to make the jump to a filter press.

If you are a smaller timer looking to improve your gravity filtering before making the jump to mechanical filtering, you can not do any better than this.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I may be sold! For 2025 at least. Gotta cool it for 2024. :-)
    2024: 28 taps, 7 gallons. RB5 purchased but not opened :-(
    2023: 30 taps, 17 trees, 11 properties, Sugar Maple & Norway. 2x3 flat over propane & kitchen finish. ~11(!) gallons.
    2022: 9 taps, 5 trees, 4 properties. 3 hotel pans on 3 Coleman 2-burner stoves burning gasoline; kitchen finish. ~3 gallons.
    2021: 2 taps, 1 sugar maple. Propane grill then kitchen finish. ~Pint.
    All years: mainly 5/16" drops into free supermarket frosting buckets. Some plastic sap buckets hanging on 5/16 sap-meister.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast