+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: How to use ALL of a cone filter

Great idea! I didn't know there was a tool specifically made for this process!

i ended up with 2 of these optimizers in some stuff i bought used, what a game changer for the small producer, great product

Quote Originally Posted by Andy VT View Post
    Cool! The economizer sounds like a cool way to use a cone filter. I will say I haven't felt the need, but it did give me a good idea. You can hand-shape the cone filter into the economizer shape for small quantities and it will more or less keep that shape. For large batches, like 1.5 gallons or more, you probably wouldn't be able to maintain that shape without the economizer, but also might not really need to.
    Just my two cents on it.
    It is a nifty little idea. Just wanted to mention the same thing, to some extent, can be done without it.
    Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy VT View Post
    I may be sold! For 2025 at least. Gotta cool it for 2024. :-)
    Every now and then someone has a brilliant idea…@pobryan did just that with his “sailor hat” filter frame.
    Came right out of nowhere, revolutionized wool-hat filtering and tried to make a go of it.
    Your first post implies that you don’t need his invention, your second post says you’re on board...
    I think you’re a goofball.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Every now and then someone has a brilliant idea…@pobryan did just that with his “sailor hat” filter frame.
    Came right out of nowhere, revolutionized wool-hat filtering and tried to make a go of it.
    Your first post implies that you don’t need his invention, your second post says you’re on board...
    I think you’re a goofball.
    John Allin, I can't argue with you there!
    I think I was just trying to mention that the invention was cool, but I had never tried one yet, but its existence gave me the idea of making a sailor hat with the cone even if you didn't have the optimizer, so just wanted people to know of that technique that they could use while waiting for shipment of their optimizers. But I was surprised how "gotta have this thing" other posters were, so I got on board (mainly didn't want to poo poo a cool invention, but also started to think maybe I really do need one). But I must say this season I'm continuing without the optimizer and I'm back to not being able to figure out what problem I need to solve. My batches are all more than 1 gallon each now and I'm not doing a sailor hat anymore, and hard as I've tried I haven't been able to clog things up yet. So, I guess I'm back to not needing it! But still a cool little invention. Yep, goofball! (seriously). I'll be sure to update this thread when/if I buy one!
    2024: 28 taps, 7 gallons. RB5 purchased but not opened :-(
    2023: 30 taps, 17 trees, 11 properties, Sugar Maple & Norway. 2x3 flat over propane & kitchen finish. ~11(!) gallons.
    2022: 9 taps, 5 trees, 4 properties. 3 hotel pans on 3 Coleman 2-burner stoves burning gasoline; kitchen finish. ~3 gallons.
    2021: 2 taps, 1 sugar maple. Propane grill then kitchen finish. ~Pint.
    All years: mainly 5/16" drops into free supermarket frosting buckets. Some plastic sap buckets hanging on 5/16 sap-meister.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112