+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Novice Question

Default Novice Question

This is only my second season making syrup. After watching two friends in their first season in 2015 I got the urge. In 2016, I tapped 5 trees last year for 120 gallons of sap and 3 gallons of syrup. I didn't record nor do I remember when I put my taps in. My question is - what is the harm in tapping too early? Can you actually lower the season's sap production by tapping too early versus waiting or do you just have some unproductive days or weeks before conditions improve? I live in Franklin County but tap and boil with my buddy who's a dairy farmer in western Perry County. With the lousy ice fishing season we're having, I'm itching to start tapping trees and making syrup bit not if jumping the gun will lower the season's production. Please advise. Thanks

The hole in the tree will start to heal itself when bacteria gets inside, it takes a certain amount of time to heal up and thus stop the flow of sap. Depending on the type of spile you use and sanitation methods handling them and how good a hole you drill all have an effect on how long it will take to heal. The new Check valve spouts are supposed to prevent a backflow of sap going back into the tree, reducing the bacteria introduced to the hole. If you are using regular metal spiles and plastic spouts then you will find they don't produce as long. Clean and sanitise them well. I would ask your friend when they plan on tapping, it is regional and I don't know your climate.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

I use 6 weeks as a rule of thumb for the tap hole to be productive. Good luck! Your not the only one itching! Just seems a week or two early.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks for the replies - based on them, I thing I'll wait. I had a blast last year and plan to double the amount of trees we tap this year. I'll watch this site and the weather. Thanks again

I'm from Perry county and I look at the weather forecast. I use only buckets and most of my trees are reds. My trees run the best when the temps are in the high 30's to mid 40's with night time temps in upper 20's. Once that hole is bored the clock starts ticking and 6 weeks sounds about right.
    2011 - 6 buckets
    Stove Top
    2012 - 15 buckets
    2013 - 19 buckets
    Camper cook stove with 3 high propane burners
    Custom made 42x14x7 maple pan with dividers
    2015 - New 12x16 Sugar Shack
    2015 - New Lapierre Propane Evaporator
    2016 - 28 buckets
    2017 - 30 buckets
    2019 - 32 buckets
    2023 - 32 buckets - Good to be back