+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taps per tree on vacuum

Default Taps per tree on vacuum

Just wondering what the guidelines are for taps when using vacuum, are the same guidelines followed for tapping or does the number of taps per tree decrease. Thanks for the input

I believe it's 10"-20" one tap, 20"-30" two taps and 30"+ three taps and no more then 3 taps.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

There is not a lot of benefit to putting more than 1 tap per tree with vacuum.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Default Taps per tree

So if I am only putting one tap in each tree, how does vacuum produce more sap per tree than on gravity tubing, I would be putting two taps in my big maples(on gravity), so now if I am down to one tap, am I still getting more sap per tree than if I was using two taps with tubing??? Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by mellondome View Post
    There is not a lot of benefit to putting more than 1 tap per tree with vacuum.
    Huh? I don't known what else to say? You may not double your sap but its well worth it if a large tree. We double tap 18" and up trees, maybe 16" if it is a good healthy tree with a nice crown. But thats it.....we never do 3 taps just because it gets hard to find good wood. Think 30 years down the road not 1 season at a time.

Tap&sap...vacuum sucks sap out of the tree. All other things being equal vacuum will out do gravity 2-3x easily, maybe more.
    Last edited by mainebackswoodssyrup; 01-21-2017 at 07:22 PM.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/One%20or%20...-%20Wilmot.pdf

Tim Wilmont study on 2 taps vs 1 tap. With the appropriate size tree 2 taps is definitely worth it .
    CDL 30x10
    Homebuild R.O.
    Wes Fab filter press full bank w/air pump
    ornery wife
    1 mean Stihl 460 woods ported chainsaw

Very good read. Thanks for posting
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkis View Post
    I believe it's 10"-20" one tap, 20"-30" two taps and 30"+ three taps and no more then 3 taps.
    I was at a seminar and the speaker conveyed that Center acre or whatever out of Canada has said 1 tap under 20" (up from 18" diameter a few years ago) and no more than 2 for any size tree.

Now of course in my area there is no problem finding tappers putting 3 taps in 10" trees. The "conservative" tappers are found to be putting 2 taps in 12" and 14" trees. There is alot of overtapping going on in my area. Noone seems to care and many think they are professionals.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I agree with markcasper, 10"-20" 1 tap, over 20" 2, never more than 2.
    The guideline is to keep giving you fresh wood to tap year after year. A mature tree grows slower than a younger tree, just like teen agers vs. the over 30 crowd.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    10"-20" 1 tap, over 20" 2, never more than 2.
    The guideline is to keep giving you fresh wood to tap year after year. A mature tree grows slower than a younger tree, just like teen agers vs. the over 30 crowd.
    I don't get it mapleflats, as mentioned before, many around here WAY overtap, just take a ride. It is disgusting to see and even more when you bring it up with a landowner and then still nothing changes, really baffles me and all their doing is eventually slitting their throat and any future sugarmakers.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

+ Reply to Thread