+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is This A Maple, Or Something Else?

I agree ,like Wishlist said the branches are opposite. All Maples,Ash and Buckeye trees have this type.Red are less in sugar but dont pass them up. I see you are in Wv too.. I am in Rockport ,western side not far from Parkersburg. Planning on tapping next weekend,when are you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rockport View Post
    I agree ,like Wishlist said the branches are opposite. All Maples,Ash and Buckeye trees have this type.Red are less in sugar but dont pass them up. I see you are in Wv too.. I am in Rockport ,western side not far from Parkersburg. Planning on tapping next weekend,when are you ?
    We're right outside of Beckley. Yes, next weekend looks like the time to us. The week after has a bunch of 30s-40s highs and 20s lows.. hope it holds up. Can't wait!
    2015: 10 taps; 22 gal sap; 3 pints syrup
    2016: 65 taps; 600+ gal sap; 5 gal syrup - LEARNING EXPERIENCE
    2017: 177 taps

134 taps on 3/16" gravity tubing, 43 taps on Shurflo 4008 vacuum
    Homemade RO under construction
    2x4 CDL hobby evaporator

To ID maples, look for opposite branching. for this you need to look at smaller branches because most often one side of a opposite pair get broken off. The next is to look at the buds. This time of year a sugar (and black) maple will have tight, pointed buds, all others have non pointed buds (look at the tips of the small branches). Most other maples have wide rather flat bud tips.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12