+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need access hole/lid for IBC

Mine all sit outside as well, but I turn them on there sides to help reduce water getting in. Snow, ice and rain I don't worry about too much during the season as it will boil away. Leaves and twigs are not usually a problem, but I filter them out anyway when I pump the tank empty. I also use one to gather with, but never fill more then half full since all of mine are less then a mile away. I get some sloshing during transit, but never had a problem with overflowing. If I was able to fill them up full, I would not use this method either. My little mini-truck can't handle the weight of a full cage tank.
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Turning the tanks on there side doesn't seem like a very good alternative.

I suspend a lightweight cone syrup filter in the opening and that filters out the sugar flies, moths and helps extend the life of my whole-house pre-filter on my RO set-up.

Quote Originally Posted by 11-Nick View Post
    I want to cut the original hole out of top of tank and put in a larger hole so I can access/clean the tank. I've seen pictures where people have modified their tanks this way. Can anyone give me info on where you got the hole/lid to Frankenstein onto the IBC?
    It sounds like our Wide Mouth Square Stackable IBC would be perfect for your application. Its large 18" lid opening facilitates mixing or agitating of liquids and cleaning, sanitizing or drying of the tank interior.
    Snyder Industries, Inc.
    6940 O Street, Suite 100
    Lincoln, Nebraska 68510
    Phone: 888.422.8683
    Email: sales@snydernet.com

How much? And how long to get to NH
    Brian Eldredge
    Mooncusser Maple
    16x24 post and beam sugar shack
    2x8 CDL maple pro Wes fab filter press
    Lots of shiny stuff now I need some more trees

Rubbermaid tote. They come in various sizes. Cut around the of the tote a few inches below the lid. Cut a corresponding (slightly smaller) hole in top of IBC. Frankenstein the Rubbermaid top into the hole in the IBC and silicone in place. Voila. I was the OP for this thread. I'm coming up on syrup season and am about to wreak havok around the house, so I've been cleaning up some odds and ends trying to score points with wife before I push her to the edge once the trees get trapped. I've been moving the same short stack of unused Rubbermaid totes around the garage for a week. The idea never hit me until now. DUH. solved my own problem.

Pretty spendy when you can buy a once used IBC tote that is stackable, 275 gallons for $60-$120 and put a catch cover in the lid or other cover and have something similar.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

I'm not buying IBC's for this project. I already have 8 IBC totes sitting in my yard that I've started scrubbing. I like using them but hate cleaning them (if they are to be truly clean). Looking for a way to access the inside more easily for a thorough scrubbing. I have the IBC's; and as I said previously, I have the rubbermaid totes/lids that were in my road. Zero expense to me at this point to put them together and get exactly what I'm looking for. They'll be way more accessible to clean. They'll be completely seal-able from rain, snow, and debris. I was looking for a solution and it was right under my nose.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have 11 totes and the first thing I do when I start my season is fill them up with water and some bleach and let them soak for a few days. Take your power washer hose and stick it thru the valve and install one of those whirely lawn sprinklers that spray in all directions, up down all around and hook to spray hose put cover on and hook to hot water.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12