+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272838 ... LastLast

Thread: Schenectady-Albany-Saratoga Counties

Nice job crzypete! I was ready to be done, once the snow melted I went into yard work mode. Finished the season with 16 gallons

I use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. Build a fire and let it boil hard for about an hour then let it cool.
    When I can put my hand in it comfortably I wipe the pans with a sponge or lightly with a scotch brite.

Did this today. Now to drain and pressure wash both pans and I’m done for the season!

Quote Originally Posted by MRFNY View Post
    How does everyone clean their pan? I have been doing a mix of apple cider vinegar and lemon juice, get it boiling and scrub the pan but it doesn't take off any buildup on the sides of the pan. would a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water do the trick?
    Leader WSE 2x6 w/hoods
    12"x20" Mason Finisher
    250 taps.. Majority on tubing
    14'x20' sugarshack
    Kubota RTV900XT
    Home built Auto Drawoff
    Leader MicRO 2 RO
    www.mallardpondmaple.com

we've always used the last raw sap to fill the pans and let it sit until August. Pressure wash then the pans come out like brand new.

I do the same, works great.
    100-110 buckets
    Leader 7.5" 3 Bank filter press (2023)
    RO Bucket RB10 (2017) upgraded to RB20 (2020)
    Homemade oil tank arch
    Homemade stainless pans
    12x16 Sugar Shack (new 2020)

I closed things out this past week. Pulled the rest of my buckets and made one last quart for giggles. A good distraction to get rid of the last little bit of sap. It was not a nice quart. lots of sediment. still settling out, for some reason my filter wouldn't catch it. I'm still counting it and bringing my season to 5.75 quarts, which is down from the last two years, but will be plenty to get us through and pass some along.

Pete
    2017- 17 taps, 3 gallons, stove-top insanity
    2018- 36 taps, 10 gallons, Oil tank evaporator
    2019- 24 taps, 7 gallons
    2020- 27 taps, 5.75 gallons
    2021- 42 taps, 8 gallons
    2022- 48 taps, 8.5 gallons
    2023- 50 taps, 15 gallons
    2024- 46 taps, 9.5 gallons

Oil Tank Evaporator build

The only solution seems to be more buckets Pete.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Last boil of 2020 last night with some Lawson's Sugarhouse IPAs!Attachment 21267
    Many years ago Sean Lawson did some research with me when he was an undergraduate at UVM. He brewed beer even back then for fun...made some great maple stout, won a few local contests...and the rest is history.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

That is awesome Dr. Tim! Back when I first got into IPAs, Sip of Sunshine was impossible to get in NY, so I would make the 3 hour drive to Burlington and stand in line to get my limit. Thankfully it is now fairly readily available in New York!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

That is awesome Dr. Tim! Back when I first got into IPAs, Sip of Sunshine was impossible to get in NY, so I would make the 3 hour drive to Burlington and stand in line to get my limit. Thankfully it is now fairly readily available in New York!
    That was WAY back in the pre-maple days. I used to study red spruce, specifically winter injury due to acid rain/nutrition imbalances, before becoming Director at UVM PMRC, although I knew maple from working at my grandfather's sugarbush from WAY WAY back.

https://academic.oup.com/treephys/ar...rectedFrom=PDF
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    That was WAY back in the pre-maple days. I used to study red spruce, specifically winter injury due to acid rain/nutrition imbalances, before becoming Director at UVM PMRC, although I knew maple from working at my grandfather's sugarbush from WAY WAY back.

https://academic.oup.com/treephys/ar...rectedFrom=PDF
    Very cool!

While I have your ear, can you take a look at a photo below of the inside of my pan after this season? I posted this in the the evaporator thread, and mentioned that my pan is a 2004 Leader pan which has always had a little bit of scaling on the sides. This year seems a little worse though. I could chip the scaling away but that would take forever. This year I tried a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water, the previous two seasons i did apple cider vinegar with lemon juice and heated it up. The bottom of the pan it nice and shiny like new, it's just the sides that look terrible. Not sure it matters when making syrup but would appreciate any insight. Thanks! Pan.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 54 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272838 ... LastLast