+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dividers?

Default dividers?

whats the purpose of having dividers in the pan? i have a 24x36 pan( home made) i never put dividers in just wondering if i should add them?

Isn't necessary. It helps make lighter syrup by being able to pull finished syrup off the pan while still boiling raw sap at the other end. With a "batch" pan as you have, you need to keep boiling everything till all your saps used up and boiled down to syrup.
    Hope I didn't muddle that up too much.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Quote Originally Posted by maple mack View Post
    whats the purpose of having dividers in the pan? i have a 24x36 pan( home made) i never put dividers in just wondering if i should add them?
    Dividers you'll draw off as you have syrup. A big pan you'll boil it all and pull it off as a batch. Either way you'll be making syrup. It is not necessary, especially if you don't mind just pulling it off all as one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to add to the question that Maple Mark started here. I've only seen dividers run the length of the pan why not run them side to side instead? I'm thinking that if you had a hotter area in front or in back then running them crosswise would make the gradient more equal whereas the long dividers running lengthwise could see more of a temperature change across their length.........just wondering I'm sure there is a simple reason? Thanks Jay
    Zucker Lager

They are done both ways, I think Smoky Lake does their syrup pans that way now.

Dividers (or multiple smaller pans) allow for there to be a difference in concentration across your boiling. With an undivided pan, all sap is at the same concentration. You add sap and boil until the whole pan is at or close to syrup concentration, then take it off.

With dividers or separate pans, you always add sap at one end, and as the boiling takes place, you end up with more concentrated sap / syrup at the other end. You can then take off smaller amounts of syrup when it's ready and you don't have as much "investment" in the pan at any given time.

If you are planning to "boil it all down" each time you boil and empty out the pans, dividers are not necessary. If however you plan to "sweeten" the pans and then boil each day's sap as it comes in, leaving your pans full between days, then the dividers are important. Outdoor and weekend boilers don't usually benefit from a divided pan.

In my experience, dividers do not have a large impact on the colour (grade) of syrup produced. Sap quality and boiling techniques have a much larger effect.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

The word that comes to mind for me is Continuous. Having a open pan/no dividers generally means you are batch boiling. Batch boiling works well but has its Foibles. Shutting down the heat once the batch is done or pulling the unfinished syrup off a few points from density and finishing some other way. I used to just douse the fire with a garden hose at the finished point.

Having a pan with dividers allows for a CONTINUOUS processing of your sap into syrup all the while adding sap and removing finished syrup.

How important ate dividers in a flue pan that's 4 to 5 ft wide?

+ Reply to Thread