+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Morningstar Farm 2017

Bascom's usually has the 1500 in stock unless they are sold out.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Tractor supply usually carries them. That's where I got both of mine. Hopefully I can get rid of mine next year. I hate them!
    3000 on Vacuum and growing
    3x10 H20 evaporator
    15x55 Sugarhouse
    CanAm Outlander 500

www.ridgelandfarmnh.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ridge...77222115823193

Spent the day tapping...thanks to some help we got about 750 in today...turned her on and got about 300 gals in a couple hours...unfortunately the electric releaser control is acting up..need to figure out how to fix it..electric is so not my specialty..back at it tomorrow...then the pats game
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

another great day in the woods tapping...also fixed a cracked bulkhead fitting in the main tank..finally figured out the releaser issues..turns out we fried the electric float switches..ordered from grainger for pickup in the morning..should be up and running by noonish..then back to the sugarhouse to do a double wash on the RO and rinse well..hoping to get pans cleaned tomorrow night and be ready to boil weds night if the sap cooperates..so far have about 2000 in and ready..Tomorrow looks to be pretty much of a loss with this rainy noreaster ..weather says 2-3 in of rain for my area..might need waders weds...will keep this updated for any interested in seeing Sapzilla roar to start the new year..all are invited for the first boil
    Chris Hicks
    24x50 sugar House
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Hey all...no tapping today...we ended up with 3" of cement on the trees..had to let it melt to see old holes etc..fixed the releaser and am ready for tomorrow...more to tap and temps here in the high 40's...it will also be the cleaning boil for the evap..provided the oil guy delivers..then hopefully i might have enough to boil between weds and thurs..again, open invite to anyone that needs steam when we fire up...good luck all..
    Chris Hicks
    24x50 sugar House
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Bact to tapping today..got another 350 or so in...turned on the vac for the day and ended up with just over 800 gals and its still running...got the oil delivery so tonight is the cleaning boil...then clean everything out to boil tomorrow night....hoping for another 800 tomorrow as sapzilla holds about 300 gals just to fill her...time will tell, but it looks pretty good...
    Chris Hicks
    24x50 sugar House
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Quote Originally Posted by morningstarfarm View Post
    Bact to tapping today..got another 350 or so in...turned on the vac for the day and ended up with just over 800 gals and its still running...got the oil delivery so tonight is the cleaning boil...then clean everything out to boil tomorrow night....hoping for another 800 tomorrow as sapzilla holds about 300 gals just to fill her...time will tell, but it looks pretty good...
    Thanks, Chris, for using that term "cleaning boil"! I'm a backyarder and the 45 gallons I boiled from my first collection had vapor that just did NOT have that wonderful maple aroma. And on top of that, my 30 year old Leader 2x6 drop flue developed a hot spot in a middle channel in the syrup pan and blackened the syrup as it was hitting 217°

Well, we had our first boil last night...ended up with about 1800 gals of 1.6%... Ran it through the ro and ended up with enough to fill the pans and then had about 175 gals to actually boil...everything went well for a change and after 45 mins of hard boiling we were at 64 brix..then..**** we were out of sap..shut her down...soo close...well, at least next run we will be making syrup..looks to be a light end of amber..at nhmpa meeting today then back in the woods tomorrow to keep tapping..good luck all
    Chris Hicks
    24x50 sugar House
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Its been a busy couple of days...went to the nhmpa meeting sat for the carlisle award finals..suprised me to end up third..woohoo..then back into the woods to tap some more..today turned everything on and chased leaks while the kids tapped..vac is back up to 27"..found a couple missed drops and a squirrel chew..all fixed..ended up with about 600 gals tonight..sugar still a little low..around 1.6...figured the forecast looks a little cold for much run for the next week so i boiled it..ended up making about 10 gals of syrup..looks to be a nice amber..but like last year, lots of nitre in it...will finish and filter in the next couple days..tomorrow, back to tapping...
    Chris Hicks
    24x50 sugar House
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

Sounds like things are moving along well over there. I still need to stop in and pick up my hobby released so I can get that set up with a tank. Good luck this season.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast