Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Brusnwick

Quote Originally Posted by murferd View Post
    Bottled our first 2 batches yesterday! Got 15 1/2. Had 5 or 6 gallons in drawoff tank for more than a week, because of cold weather. Hopefully it has finally turned for us.
    We keep track of when we bottle, April 2 was that latest ever, so this was quite close. It was also our worse production, let's hope that's not the case this year.
    Hey Murray,

We have gone back and forth a few times now on this thread but i didn't realize it until just now when I saw you were from Hartland and then saw you sugar shack picture that I think I have been to your place before. We went to a spot in Hartland with Brandon and Natalie Thompson, years ago. You made snow candy for my little girls and they still talk about it. Likely one of the reasons we tapped the trees at our house 3 to 4 years ago and got me started down this path. That is if you are the same Dickinson's Maple that sells their syrup in Crown Royal bottles?

I might be way off here, but I don't think so.
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2016 - 12 taps, propane boiler 6L
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L
    1.5x6 CDL Econo Evaporator

We have now made our 3rd batch, have produced almost 16L of syrup. Hoping for a large load on Saturday.
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L

Temps have been nearly perfect since Saturday...-5 then +5 ....but absolutely nothing until today when there was maybe 2 " in each barrel....very disheartening
    2014 - 6 buckets, 4 coffee cans and a propane burner - almost 40L of sap and 1.6L of syrup
    2015 - 103 taps on gravity. Homemade oil tank arch and a Smoky Lake 2' X 5' hybrid. - 2.66 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 101 taps, 550 gallons of sap, ~10 gallons of syrup all dark.
    2017 - 138 taps, 225 gallons of sap, 5.55 gallons of dark syrup, still procrastinating on the vac.
    2018 - ~150 taps, I lost track of the sap it was incredible!, over 20 gal of syrup, all dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy's Sugar Shack View Post
    Hey Murray,

We have gone back and forth a few times now on this thread but i didn't realize it until just now when I saw you were from Hartland and then saw you sugar shack picture that I think I have been to your place before. We went to a spot in Hartland with Brandon and Natalie Thompson, years ago. You made snow candy for my little girls and they still talk about it. Likely one of the reasons we tapped the trees at our house 3 to 4 years ago and got me started down this path. That is if you are the same Dickinson's Maple that sells their syrup in Crown Royal bottles?

I might be way off here, but I don't think so.
    You are correct! I remember you now, glad to hear you're in the "business". We just did taffy on the snow for a bunch last Saturday again. Love to have company, especially kids!
    Good luck, our weather forecast doesn't look that great, hopefully yours is better. Where are you located?
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

Quote Originally Posted by murferd View Post
    You are correct! I remember you now, glad to hear you're in the "business". We just did taffy on the snow for a bunch last Saturday again. Love to have company, especially kids!
    Good luck, our weather forecast doesn't look that great, hopefully yours is better. Where are you located?
    Very cool. Our woodlot is about 10 minutes from Hampton on the Hampton end of the Kingston Peninsula. I have not been down to check them this week, will go Saturday and hope for the best. Currently I haul the sap back to my place in Hanwell but someday we will move down there and set up on site. Likely only to ever have a maximum of 200 trees unless we buy more land around us.

It's a fun hobby and am happy to have this site to get help when needed. Sounds like it's been a tough season all around the province. I have a friend in Hillsborough reporting much less than I have gotten so far, with twice the tapped. Good luck on the remainder of the week, I have big hopes for Saturday's haul
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel26 View Post
    Temps have been nearly perfect since Saturday...-5 then +5 ....but absolutely nothing until today when there was maybe 2 " in each barrel....very disheartening
    Sounds like it has been a tough season all over Maine and NB when skimming through this site. Even warmer weather coming and trees starting to bloom I am concerned this weekend will be my last boil.
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L

Hey guys I'm wondering if there is a maple supply store in the Fredericton area where I can buy some bottles. I usually buy my supplies from CDL in paquetville but the wife is going to Fredericton tomorrow so it would save me a couple hours of driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    110 taps,buckets
    Homemade 2 x 3
    1983 ski-doo citation
    2007 Big Bear
    3 young pail dumpers
    http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/Nemo5_photos/

Might be something at the Country Store on the Northside, it's near Jim Gilbert's used car lot. There are a couple in Florenceville & Centerville.
    Murray

1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    Air over & under fire

Friday was probably our best day for sap, yesterday started off good but petered out some. We are at half of last years production, this week doesn't look good for awhile.
    Might be ok by Thursday, maybe Friday, then Sunday mostly likely done.
    Murray

1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    Air over & under fire

Thanks murferd the country store had some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    110 taps,buckets
    Homemade 2 x 3
    1983 ski-doo citation