+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Growing apple trees, grafting scions

Theres a guy in Eden Vermont that will bring his hives to my orchard right at bloom time. The price is $70 per hive. I may go that route in the future.

Spud

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Note to self and anyone else, rabbits are very bad for new trees. I didnt think they would be such a problem given the number of barn cats we have but they have eaten the leaves off 4 trees and started eating the bark on an 2 yr old tree. I thought they only did that in winter, lesson learned.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

They will wreck your new tress for sure barnbc76. In the past I have either put sleeves on the trees or a chicken wire fence around them. It's more work keeping the varmits at bay than caring for the trees. Deer, rabbits and coons are hated creatures. As soon as my peaches get close to ripe I have to start trapping coons or I get zero peaches, not to mention what they do to the sweet corn.....I hate raccoons, I hate em, hate em hate em. At least 20 years ago I could get good money out of the pelts, now the "cry baby Hollywood I never spent a day in the country and have no clue how the real world works" idiots have ruined the markets and we are over run with vermin.

Ok I done ranting

Moose, I hate moose, out of the 25 new trees I put in this year they topped off 22, the 3 they left alone had fire blight. I used plantskid on them but it rained heavy for two days after. I don't know if it is effective for moose anyway. My other 50 or so trees all got hit too but are bigger and can absorb the hit . Some times I wonder. Also just a bit up the hill is all brown from the forest tent caterpillars at least their not on my bush yet. Any body got any good moose deterrents?
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

Sorry to hear the bad news. I don't think Plantskidd works well for moose. It works very well for deer and rabbit. You might want to talk to your local Game Warden and see if you could get a permit to shoot the moose. My guess is they will say no because the moose population is small in our areas.

Spud

Good luck with wardens. Buddy made the mistake about calling them about a bear that was in their backyard on and off for 2 weeks. Wardens said no way, they couldn't give permission even though he had chickens and a 2 year old he was worried about. Long story short, Spud is partly right.......just don't call the wardens!

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:39 PM.

I have thought about the fence and may get to it. I have some porcupine around that have caused damage to my trees and dogs. I had a efence around my bees that worked but its a much smaller area. The blight thing is tough we have hundreds of wild apple trees around the hill and half of them show signs of blight. some get over it and produce a lot of apples, but when it finds a young transplant tree its bad. I have never sprayed for it before but will now start a spring time spraying. I also burn any old blighted wood I find, and sadly this years transplants that got it. On my hundred or so fruit trees, moose are the biggest problem. Its a two or more year set back when they hit. Once the trees hit 10-12 feet in height or better they are pretty safe but then tough to maintain. I have 20 blight resistant trees, liberty, and freedom in pots by the house that are fenced. They will go out back when about 8 feet high. Thanks for the tips, good luck
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

went away on vacation for a week and a half and came back to trees that look horrible.......leaves have specks and some are completely brown......."fire blight" I'll try to get a picture

I have been spraying them all season and they looked so good up until now.....
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast