+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing apple trees, grafting scions

Karen,
    in my opinion, the dormant oil spray is the most important of the year. But with that said I still spray every 10-14 days with Captan and Imidan up until mid July. Then I switch over to Captan and Sevin to control Asian beetles that really attack the softer apples, namely Paula Red, Honeygold, Honeycrisp and Zestar. Sorry I cant give you a chemical free recipe.

Trapper

Quote Originally Posted by barnbc76 View Post
    Very cool, I am going to be placing an order for rootstocks this week. Anyone have experience with G935? I have a soil that is pretty wet in the spring (clay) I would prefer a 40-50% dwarf but I might be stuck with mm111 oh well.
    M106 is a fairly versatile for a lot of soils here. Keep it pruned using a tall spindle type system and it will be small enough for your yard.

Barnbc,
    I have a 30 tree orchard at my house and another 100+ on my hunting property. All are sprayed and cared for equally as I will harvest from my hunting property also. I have Harelson, Honeycrisp, Paula Red, Cortland, Spartan, Jonathon, Honeygold, McIntosh, Wolf River, Liberty and 3 or 4 varieties I'm not positive of. Waterspouts are not as healthy as the main tree as they grow so fast that long term they are not as hardy. That's what I was taught by an oldtimer, While some grafters like to use watersprouts, Michigan State University Extension recommends avoiding excessively vegetative shoots. If it is the only healthy, straight wood available, discard the terminal ends where there are less carbohydrates stored and where buds lack maturity.

Avoid suckers that arise from the rootstock, below the union. One of the problems with using watersprouts is that the tissue often lacks in stored carbohydrates, which is important in the wound healing and callusing process.
    Last edited by Trapper2; 02-26-2017 at 08:32 AM.

Hey trapper, don't suppose you have any extra wolf River you would be willing to part with? I'd cover shipping for it.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

Sorry barnbc. Of all trees,that's the one I have the least of.

Today I started grafting, I did 2 Mcintosh, this is my first time, I am hoping they do well I have another 25 or so left to go. I recieved some scion wood from the NASE, cox's orange pippin, cripps pink (pink lady). 20170401_162715.jpg
    2019- RO
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

So how are you set up to callus those grafts? I used a mixture of sawdust and sand(mostly sawdust).

I guess I dont know what that is. Are you talking about letting them join together before being planted? If so I dug up a rotted log and used that to set the trees in a 5gal bucket till I can plant them. How long does the calus proccess take?
    2019- RO

As an old saying goes; "well, this is a deep subject". When I worked in the nursery we whip grafted apples mostly. Some say apples don't need callusing as much as some other fruits,but we felt it helped.especially since we had subbed out grafting work to a senior citizens center. we trained them and furnished the graft cutting machines, but still we found scion and root stock were on average not matched optimally. So our defense for this was a callusing bin. By promoting callusing we could allow those poorer grafts to built unions between root stock and scion. We done this by building what I would call coffins for our grated trees. Basically we bundled the trees into bundles of 10 and filled a layer of moist sawdust with a little sand, then a layer of tree bundles and covered with the sawdust mixture. We kept this in a heated room with a humidifier for about two weeks. After grafts had developed calluses to our satisfaction we removed the sawdust and stood the bundles up with the roots covered by a compost and maintained some humidity. That would season or harden the grafts (this step may not have been necessary) and allow us to store them until planting time. Since we grafted in winter we had to hold the trees for warmer weather to plant. I think we could have just heeled them into a trough in the greenhouse. I think callusing helps although some say it is not necessary in apples. Below are a couple links to sites with information. You can callus in a plastic bag if you want. Just put your tree in a plastic bag of moist potting mix and close it with as good as possible around the stem above the graft. Rub off any sprouts that start below the graft. whew, now I have confused you even more, I imagine.

http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/n...attachment.pdf

http://growingfruit.org/t/anyone-usi...llusing/5339/9

http://growingfruit.org/t/anyone-usi...llusing/5339/9

Hey thanks for that info buckeye, I find all this stuff facinating. I just remembered i saw what you are talking about, i think a documentary. I might try something like that if i can.

I finished 20 grafts, Mcintosh, Grimes Golden, Mcoun, Crispin, Cox Orange Pippin, Kripps Pink, Ida Red, and whitney crab apple. I will say it is as easy as they say to graft but getting the right cutting technique took me about 10 grafts, then I was able to get solid contact on the cuts. I am not too worried if they dont all take as I prepared for a 50% failure/success rate. I used 1/2" grafting tape which worked well, I heae 1" is better though.
    If anyone wants any scionwood of these varieties let me know. I still have some of most.
    2019- RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast