+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617

Thread: Growing apple trees, grafting scions

All my apple trees are looking good. Should have blossoms in 7-10 days. I have 48 hives coming to my land this week. My pear trees have blossoms now. All my 14 cherry trees should blossom any day. I lost my blossoms on my apricot trees last week when night temp went to 26. My plum trees should blossom in 7-10 days. I planted 100 more Premium Honey Crisp trees. I going to wait till the end of the month to plant my tomatoes and peppers. It’s a great time of year. I hope everyone is staying healthy.

Spud

Plum tree completely white with blossoms here now,apples and pears probably a good week yet. Peaches might have gotten blossoms frosted off,close to frost here this morning.Will set plants from greenhouse out for curb side sales next weekend,been telling everyone it’s too early to plant yet.Getting lots done without the buses running,rebuilt the building over the storage tank at sugar house before bugs got bad,put up a new page wire fence,now building a deck and putting a roof over it so can sit outside rain or sun. Syrup sales been brisk,especially butter,just made 36 jars last week,need to make more soon.Syrup reserves getting depleted,long way until next March now. Back to original question,if I cut off waterspouts mid summer will they not come back? Figure it I do it now trees will send out more
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Back to original question,if I cut off waterspouts mid summer will they not come back? Figure it I do it now trees will send out more
    I always cut mine when I prune or as I see them. Removing them is just maintenance. The way I look at it is, if you let them grow they are only stealing energy from your tree and your going to cut that energy off and throw it away mid-summer. Pruning is done in dormant times so you don't have an open wound when insects and disease are more prevalent. By pruning in the summer your tree will actually grow more water sprouts the next spring as it sees the pruning as an injury and the sprouts are an injury response to replace broken off limbs. Suckers can easily be snapped off when they are small (less than 8-12 inches). With that said, pears are bad at growing suckers and pruning often promotes more. It can get burdensome. That's why it's important to prune pears early as they grow and develop the fruiting frame then, that reduces the need for aggressive pruning on a mature tree. If it was a rehab pruning then your probably going to fight suckers for a while. If it were me I'd get rid of them now.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

The apple sticks, ha ha I planted 2 years ago have really exploded. Lots of growth. I'm so afraid to start pruning. Should I just start with the little sprouty growth first?. Never gave it a thought at tge farm. My cherries and pears doing really well too. Compost and water do a great job. I also tell them all how beautiful they're doing. Everyone likes a compliment

Do your best to shape the tree. Snip the stubs off the trunk. Give them 10-10-10 once a month. Try to get 10-20 inches of new growth on your branches. Anymore then 20 inches then back off on nitrogen. Keep watering during any dry spell.

Spud

I have about 15 standard apple trees that i only prune in the winter. I have about 75 semi dwarfs and dwarfs that I prune year round. Mostly getting rid of sprouts and suckers and shaping. I wander around them all summer/year and do what needs to be done. I don't let them get over my head for ease of pruning and spraying.
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and bosworth sap sucker
    50 bucket and bags about 40-50 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learning stuff

This hot weather, which I hate..has sure made the garden grow. Corn has gotten to my shoulders. My 2 cherry trees just got eaten by rotten June bugs. Hung the trap right there. It's filling up. Pears haven't been touched. Good growth on everything. Storms come through. A bit of rain on occassion. Clouds get over the river and drift across. Misses us. I am trying one of those flexible hoses. Not sure it will hold up too well. Hurt my shoulders(2 torn rotator cuffs) pulling the heavy rubber one around. I start each day with a big to do list. In my mind I'm still able to do all this. Reality is I'm just not able to do all this. Have hired a handyman to get some stuff done. Hope everyone is staying safe and well. We only go out when needed. Being extremely careful not to be around many people. My family and some friends refuse to stop socializing. Don't know when I'll see any of them again. After being very ill from last Nov. Until end of May, I know if I get the virusI'm dead. Have too many things to do yet.Plus my animals to care for and Ron....

Our U-Pick for Zestar apples will be open on Sep 12th. We have a pretty good crop of apples this year. The Honey Crisp will be ready on Sep 26th. I plan to put another 50 Honey Crisp trees in next spring and then I’m done. My blueberries did well this year. I was able to get a bunch of cherries from 14 trees. My plums should be ready in a few weeks. I hate the thought of summer coming to an end. It’s been a nice summer.

Spud

Thought I’d revive this thread,have done 20 grafts so far this spring. When I was grafting some Wolf apple trees for my sister,she wondered if you could graft dissimilar species together,say peach to pear,etc. I said I didn’t think so but will put the questions out there
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

I don’t think that will work Bruce. There was a video on u tube several years ago about a guy whip grafting apple to pear. It appears it took but I don’t know for how long. My apple crop last season was very poor. I’m hoping for a great season this year. I just gave all my trees Urea last week.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617