+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Growing apple trees, grafting scions

johnpma,

Don't get discouraged in 2 year old tree not blooming, a lot of factors go into that. Actually one cause is over fertilizing. A soil test will tell you what you need. I have had some go 5 years or more. Usually after 5 years I will score them. You may laugh, but I got good results from beating them with a chain. I am down to just a couple apple trees and two peach now as all my old trees are gone and I just didn't have the desire to replant.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
    My apple trees look the best they ever have. I have plenty of new growth, they are 12" taller and nice green leaves. Only problem is that they did not blossom this year. I fertilized, sprayed for bugs, and keep around the trees weeded nicely......these are 2 years old. Why might I ask is this happening?
    I would not get discouraged at all. It is very commen to go 3-5 years before seeing any blossoms. It really depends on the root stick and the verity. I'm on my 5th year with my Northern Spy and I only got one apple from one tree this year. I have two year old Cortland that have 8-10 apples on them. I plan to only let 1-2 per tree grow so the tree will grow better. The first five years of an apple tree should be all about tree growth and not so much fruit production. As long as your trees are putting on new growth then everything is just fine.

Spud

Thanks folks!!!! I will test the soil for sure, and continue to be patient.
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

My apple trees seem to be doing good this summer. All trees have a lot of new growth. My Honey Crisp trees have between 20-150 apples on each tree. My Zestar and Mac trees were not sprayed early enough this spring and have some blemish on some apples. I waited for all trees to loose their peddles before I sprayed for the first time. It appears the early Zestars need spray 2 weeks earlier then the rest of my apples trees. I'm looking to buy a air blast sprayer for next season. I'm looking for one that tows behind my 4-wheeler and has a 50-75 gallon tank. I sprayed my younger trees with deer repellent two weeks ago. The deer seem to be in the orchard every night. I do not want my new growth to be eating. The deer almost never touch my six year old trees and when they do it's just a nibble. I have been getting photos of black bear on my game cameras. I hope they don't break my young trees. All an all it's been a good summer so far for all fruit trees.

Spud

Good to hear Spud, I've neglected mine so they're not doing great, needed to water them but didnt. But my more established mutsu is doing well. I have 1 Apple on it.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    My apple trees seem to be doing good this summer. All trees have a lot of new growth. My Honey Crisp trees have between 20-150 apples on each tree. My Zestar and Mac trees were not sprayed early enough this spring and have some blemish on some apples. I waited for all trees to loose their peddles before I sprayed for the first time. It appears the early Zestars need spray 2 weeks earlier then the rest of my apples trees. I'm looking to buy a air blast sprayer for next season. I'm looking for one that tows behind my 4-wheeler and has a 50-75 gallon tank. I sprayed my younger trees with deer repellent two weeks ago. The deer seem to be in the orchard every night. I do not want my new growth to be eating. The deer almost never touch my six year old trees and when they do it's just a nibble. I have been getting photos of black bear on my game cameras. I hope they don't break my young trees. All an all it's been a good summer so far for all fruit trees.

Spud
    Just curious, wWhat kind of spray are you using, I've been trying a variety and have some success on some trees but issues on others.

Thanks!
    Mike

450 taps on vacuum - 2018 - 150 gal
    530 taps on vacuum - 2019 - 190 gal
    520 taps on vacuum - 2020 - 196 gal
    515 taps on vacuum - 2021 - 150 gal
    24 x 32 Pole Barn Sugar House 2018
    Smoky Lake 2x8 Silverlake Raised Flue w/ concentric exhaust 2018
    Memprotec 350H RO
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Bottler 2018
    Smoky Lake Filter Press 2018
    Smoky Lake Water Jacket Draw Off Tank 2018

I use Imidan 70-W, Captan and a Foliar spray most of the summer. These can be mixed. The last 4-6 weeks of the growing season you can back off on Imidam. Both Imidan and Captan will leave a residue on the apples. Late season you can stop using Captan and replace it with Pristine. Around July 1-10th the Japanese beetles arrive so I add Sevin into my mix. Usually only have to spray Sevin once but maybe twice to get rid of them. I also use Sevin early season as a fruit thinner.

Spud

Lots of new growth on my trees with the month of rain we have had. They looked great until this month. With the lack of sunshine I seemed to have contracted some sort of blight. The leaves are slowly turning a burnt reddish color. Which is kind of frustrating.

The vegetable garden is a complete loss. The heavy downpours ruined the majority of my squash plants, cukes, 2nd bean crop, and did a number on my tomatoes.

Told the wife "I can't wait for sugaring season!!!
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
    Lots of new growth on my trees with the month of rain we have had. They looked great until this month. With the lack of sunshine I seemed to have contracted some sort of blight. The leaves are slowly turning a burnt reddish color. Which is kind of frustrating.

The vegetable garden is a complete loss. The heavy downpours ruined the majority of my squash plants, cukes, 2nd bean crop, and did a number on my tomatoes.

Told the wife "I can't wait for sugaring season!!!
    Probably a fungus and not blight, were seeing it just about everywhere trees,shrubs, vegetables ext. Of course there are plenty of exceptions mostly where there is good drainage in the subsoil.
    Matt Durrell
    2012 - 12 Taps hand me down 2x2 and made a barrel stove
    2014 - 20 Taps 8x10 timber-frame shack
    2015 - 25 Taps
    2016 - 28 Taps new 110 acres
    2017 - 12 Taps january, 55 Taps spring and 15 Taps fall, same ol 2x2
    2018 - Helping another sugarmaker 5000 Taps, 57 at home

While the sap is crashing in I have to start pruning my apple trees. I have another 150 trees being delivered at the end of April. I sure hope my snow melt soon. I do plan to do some top grafting this year. I'm turning some Red Romes to Snow Sweets and Freedom apple trees. I whip grafted some Candy Crisp to Cortland trees a few years ago. I hope to see some fruit this year from them.

Spud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast