+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Growing apple trees, grafting scions

Got my 3 apple trees planted yesterday. Going to put up some fence around them this morning to protect them. We'll see how they do. Ground super wet up here with all the rain.

Spud,saw large 6-7’ Apple trees at Home Depot on way back from open houses,only $15.00 ,but it’s a BIG no-no at the border unless you have a phytosanitary certificate,which HD would not have
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

That stinks that you cannot bring some back. Where do you buy your fruit trees?

Spud

The 4 stark apple trees(sticks) we put in survived. Lots of fussing and pampering. Ron made great cages for them. I used landscape staples to hold them down. Mulched them with nstural cedar. Leaves are out. Think of how the trees feel. You went to sleep where you were born and wake up in a strange place. Pretty scary. I tell them every day how beautiful they are. Yes,talking to them nicely helps.

I'm about a week away from having blossoms out on all my apple trees. My Pears, Cherry, Apricot and Plum all are in bloom now. Just got my mower back from the shop. Trying to mow all the orchard before the rain starts. Looks like where in for a bunch of rain next week also. I have countless people in my area that want to come pick apples this Fall. I hope this will be the first year we can open to the public.

Spud

I hope your fruit sets good Spud. My peaches are about marble size and my apples a tad smaller, but they look good. I sprayed them the first time this week. I do three sprays and then let go until harvest.

Spud glad to hear you'll be able to open this year. I wonder how good the fruit set will be, I don't think the Apple trees usually have any competition when they are in bloom. Mine are blooming now as are millions of dandelion and other flowers. On top of that I think it was a particularly bad year for the honeybees with our extended winter. Hopefully won't be a problem for me next year as I will have a hive of my own.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

To my great relief the apple trees I got for Ron are doing great. The leaves are out and a few blossoms. Put in 9 tiny Norway pine. Having 6 8' arborvitea I stalled next week. Closing in the yard and making it a small orchard and wildlife habitat.

Thank you. I too hope my fruit set is good. I do plan to spray and hand thin a lot of my apples this year if there is a good fruit set. My Liberty trees usually have so many apples that I have to thin. I have 100 Cortland trees that i planted last year and they are loaded with blossoms. I plan to let 1-2 apples grow on each tree but thats it. My Snow Sweets and Zestars are loaded with blossoms right now. Looks like I could be busy this summer.

Spud

My apple trees look the best they ever have. I have plenty of new growth, they are 12" taller and nice green leaves. Only problem is that they did not blossom this year. I fertilized, sprayed for bugs, and keep around the trees weeded nicely......these are 2 years old. Why might I ask is this happening?
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast