+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Growing apple trees, grafting scions

Hybrid View

barnbc76, the key thing is if those suckers/shoots came from below the graft on the mcIntosh. If they did your good if they came from above I would not use them. Basically if they grew out of the ground they are whatever that root stock was.

The fertilizer I use for my apple trees is 10-10-10

Spud

I guess I dont know what that is. Are you talking about letting them join together before being planted? If so I dug up a rotted log and used that to set the trees in a 5gal bucket till I can plant them. How long does the calus proccess take?
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

What do you guys do for frost protection for your apples? In my neck of the woods apple are hard to grow around here do to frost. I have been thinking of a sprinkler system with a garden hose timer so I would only have to watch the hours it's going to freeze and program it for that day. But I read that they don't work so go. And using water has to be constant for it to work. Anyone else have a idea? I'm new at the hole apple and pair seen.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

+ Reply to Thread