+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Growing apple trees, grafting scions

I have some like that to I was told that there is a fungus that is abundant this summer
    44 27'08/71 27'56
    300 totalish taps 250 on tube and surflo
    50 bucket and bags about 15-25 gallons a season
    on a 2 by 7 home made evaporator and sugar shack
    1st gen circa 1966 still learnin stuff

Been an up down year, everything started out good then the rabbits came. The rain here has been relentless, the longest stretch without rain or precipitation is 5 days, anything longer and you would have to go back to january to find longer stretches. Its not just a little rain either it seems to always be downpours. This has caused some ugly fungal/scab diseases on our mature mcintosh which has caused it to loose all of its fruit. The rest of my newly grafted trees did not get these diseases fortunately, however many were totally killed by rabbits, or severly stunted. I also neglected to weed around all my trees, suprisingly i think this may have saved many of them because the rabbits could not easily find them i think. The weeds grow profusely where i planted the trees, next time i need to be more vigilient as spraying weed killer once is more or less pointless. My orchard is surrounded by 7ft tall grass weeds, good dirt but unbelivably vigourus weeds.

Anyone tried growing tomatoes with a young apple tree? It was accidental as a volunteer tomato grew out of the compost i placed around the 2nd year tree, both tree and tomatoes are growing vigourously, not bad considering the tomato was not started indoors 6 weeks like my other tomatos. It has had the added benefit of growing just inside the fence around the apple tree.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

I only have one fruiting apple left as a storm took out all my old trees last year. The one left did not get good pollination, but what apples are on it are ok, just small for some reason. My peaches were smaller this year as well, but we had a bumper crop and they were really sweet and clean of defects

Quote Originally Posted by MapleCamp View Post
    I have some like that to I was told that there is a fungus that is abundant this summer
    Did it look like this??? Frustrating as heck.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910