+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing 5/16" tubing

I purchased the vacuum gauge below to check the vacuum on my 5/16 tubing system.

vacuum gauge 1.jpg

I have a total of about 2,500 feet of tubing in 3 separate lines running off a Lunchbox releaser/diaphragm pump. The tubing lines connect to drop lines and taps for about 100 red maples.

I bought the vacuum gauge to check the vacuum at the end of each line, to make sure the vacuum was consistent throughout the system.

As you can see from the photo above, the vacuum gauge has a 1/4" NPT male connection on the bottom. I was going to buy an adaptor with a 1/4" NPT female connection on one end, and a 5/16" barb fitting on the other. I thought I would check the vacuum with the gauge by removing the the tube fitting out of the end of a line, sticking in the barbed end of the gauge, take a vacuum reading, remove the gauge, and replace the end line fitting.

After putting up all the tubing, I've come to realize it near impossible to disconnect a barbed fitting once it's been installed in plastic tubing. The only way I've been able to remove a fitting that's been installed in tubing is to cut it out.

I don't really want to cut out the end line fittings every time I want to take a vacuum reading.

Is there a better way?

thanks in advance.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

As soon as you make a break in the line, your vacuum is gone anyway, unless you were going to wait for it to build back up again. I guess the better way would to have a gauge installed on each line all the time.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

I purchase vacuum gauges for the end of each lateral on 3/16 and mount permanently. They are only 3 or 4 bucks and great for trouble shooting. If you are set on using one gauge you can use our multifunction cap
    which I have attached a photo of1485133599183-1054702173.jpg
    2008---35 buckets--3 gal syrup
    2015---150 on 3/16 gravity&50 Buckets
    2016---350+/- on 3/16
    2017---700+ on 3/16
    2018---700+ on 3/16 added 500gal milk tank

Your best to leave them plumbed in permanently at the end of each line. Not sure where you got your gauge but I get them from my Lapierre dealer for about $6 a piece. For that price hardly worth the hassle to attach/disconnect them. I have Vac gauges in each section of my sugar bush and I can drive around on my snowmobile and check them without even getting off it. If I see a probably I get off and look closer.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

Quote Originally Posted by wnybassman View Post
    As soon as you make a break in the line, your vacuum is gone anyway, unless you were going to wait for it to build back up again. I guess the better way would to have a gauge installed on each line all the time.
    hmmmm. I wasn't thinking of the vacuum loss from removing the plug at the end of the line. But that makes sense.

Oh well. Looks like I need to spend more money on maple equipment! I have 3 lines but also have "Y's" in them for branches to reach clusters of red maples. I figure I'll need about 7-8 gauges and the associated barb adapter to attach the gauge to a piece of tubing and the tubing to a permanent "T" near the end of each line.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by wurmdert View Post
    I purchase vacuum gauges for the end of each lateral on 3/16 and mount permanently. They are only 3 or 4 bucks and great for trouble shooting. If you are set on using one gauge you can use our multifunction cap
    which I have attached a photo ofAttachment 15137
    I don't have any pictures but what I did last year to check my vacuum was at my end of line I put a regular drop line. Put a piece of 5/16 tubing on the vacuum gauge and whenever I wanted to check the vacuum I pushed the spout into the 5/16 tubing on the vacuum gauge. When done I put the spout back in the cup on the tee. No leaks if you push it in tight. If you do it quick you don't loose too much vacuum since it takes a couple second for the sap to blast through the lines once you introduce air. And the lunchbox only pumps through a 5/16 line so it takes a bit to empty all the sap out of the lines. It builds back up pretty quick though. Maybe 15-20 seconds. You'll hear it cycling like crazy then it will equalize and your vacuum will be back. I Am going to permantly install them this year though. Bought 4 more
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by wurmdert View Post
    Im selling and using these new sliders from Sap Stars. They make them for both the wire end and the end of line. You dont have to cut your tubing to tighten. Just open the wedge lock, pull the line tight, and reinstall wedge lock. http://www.dsdstars.com/images/20A05-188-K_BIG.png
    I picked some of these style sliders today from CDL. I installed the first one and got it super tight. Was pretty impressed. I then cut a couple drops in and decided to go back and snug the line up a bit more. When I opened the slide I noticed big gouges in the tubing. Inspected a little closer and when I bent the tube it was a hole on each side of the tubing. Inspected the fitting a little more and noticed that there are sharp spikes in the fitting on each side of the wedge slide. I only had the wedge in about 1/2 way also. I could only imagine if it went in all the way. I thought maybe I grabbed the 3/16 fittings instead but went back and I didn't. I'm using CDL 5/16 tubing everywhere. Is there something I'm missing. i have attached a picture of the barbs. On the left part of the fitting
    http://
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I'm not sure about CDL. If you notice in this pic that the SAP Stars barbs are not so extreme. Maybe that's why they don't cut tubing.1485609080398-785451545.jpg
    Last edited by wurmdert; 01-28-2017 at 07:17 AM.
    2016---350+/- on 3/16
    2017---700+ on 3/16

I can send you one to try. Leave me your address and size in a pm
    2016---350+/- on 3/16
    2017---700+ on 3/16

Strange. In the slide fittings I purchased from Bascom's (Leader fittings), the surface of the interior of the fitting is smooth. There are no barbs at all:

slide fitting 2.jpg slide fitting 3.jpg

I believe these are designed to attached a lateral to a mainline wire. The fittings are shaped like a wedge. When on piece slides into the other on the outside of the tubing, they apply pressure to the outside of the tubing, holding them in place.

I've used them to tension a 5/16 line. I put a slide fitting about 4 feet from a tree near the end of the line or a long section of tubing. I connect a piece of 18 gauge wire to the tubing and wrap it about the tree (I protect the tree by placing the wire that comes in contact with the tree bark in a piece of tubing). I then have my son pull the tubing taught and I twist the wire to connect the fitting to the tree.

The more pressure placed on the fitting, tighter it grips to the outside of the tubing.

slide fitting installed 2.jpg slide fitting installed 3.jpg slide fitting installed 4.jpg

Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast