+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31314151617181920212223

Thread: Early Tapping

Just checked my tank, about 700 gallons of 1.5 percent sap. Not bad considering the weather. A chance it might hit 31 tonight. Not sure if that's enough to really help. Planning on going until the sap stops coming in or goes bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SognSyrup View Post
    Yep. We cashed it all in this weekend too. Actually dumped about 600gal of sap tonight. 450 taps, mostly on 3/16 this year and finished about 110 gallons. In a business where there is never a "normal" season...this season was very abnormal! Thanks everyone for sharing here.
    We save enough cloudy sap to fill our cooker to the brim and then in July we drain it and that Stainless Steel is totally clean, no scrubbing, just hose it out.

First year owning my land and first year doing syrup (on a whim). Pulled all the taps last weekend (Milaca mn) and collected around 120 gallons of 44 taps. That was my third collection of the year, somewhere in the low 200 gallon range total and we made just under 5 gallons of syrup using a wood fired evaporator i bought on CL. Lots of fun.

Forgot to add that we tapped the first two weekends in February based on the first warmup. Only got 40 gallons off that week of warm weather though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylorklein View Post
    First year owning my land and first year doing syrup (on a whim). Pulled all the taps last weekend (Milaca mn) and collected around 120 gallons of 44 taps. That was my third collection of the year, somewhere in the low 200 gallon range total and we made just under 5 gallons of syrup using a wood fired evaporator i bought on CL. Lots of fun.

Very nice! Where in Milaca? I'm in the Pease area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Got a surprise in my buckets today.....didn't think I'd have have anything but got a half decent run between Milaca and Princeton

Update: Regarding the discussion earlier in this thread about open flower buds and tree flowers that froze during the run this last season - it did in fact happen here and there are no winged seed pods on any of my silver maple trees that I have been able to find. Leaf buds and resultant foliage were unaffected because those buds had not broken yet at the time of the last intense cold snap that destroyed the flowers.

Boxelders have all set seeds, trees are loaded as is typical - the boxelders bloom later than the silver maples and were not affected by any sub-freezing temperatures.

It sure will be nice not having all those winged seed pods everywhere, a pleasant break from the norm...
    Been that, done there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31314151617181920212223