+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to Convert to Business and Obtain Product Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Don't think that will cover product liability. I have a farm policy. It does not include product liability. I have to a rider for that. Everyone has to pick their own comfort level. I also carry market liability which would cover someone getting hurt at the stand or a canopy blowing over on something/someone. The market we go to does not require it.
    no I'm sure it won't however if there was ever a lawsuit and there was not liability coverage then the lawyer would next look at assets in which case his home would be protected I agree dealing with the public can be tough I think I would be more worried about people visiting your sugar house and getting injured over selling 3 gallons of syrup at a farmers market it's all risk management.......

Don't worry about it at that level. I have sold over 100 gallons without getting past the family and friends bracket. The only reasons to become a "business" are bank loans or tax advantages. I'm willing to wager that no one has ever been poisoned by maple syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    Don't worry about it at that level. I have sold over 100 gallons without getting past the family and friends bracket. The only reasons to become a "business" are bank loans or tax advantages. I'm willing to wager that no one has ever been poisoned by maple syrup.
    Not true. Vermont inspector has been to hospital twice that I know of from tasting syrup.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Not true. Vermont inspector has been to hospital twice that I know of from tasting syrup.
    Please elaborate on this for us
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

I don't remember details but Henry Markeshas been hospitalized after tasting syrup. It may have been some kind of cleaner but I can't be sure of that.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Second year tapping and I plan on making/selling 50-70 gallons of syrup this year. I have a "Farm and Ranch Policy" from State Auto. It covers my sugar shack as well as $300k in product liability. It's $557 a year. Its worth it to me for peace of mind.
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12